It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004, 02:51 PM   #1

John Stamos HB User
I used to have white "half moons" at the bottom of all of my nails

....then I got sick last year and they slowly dissapeared (except both thumbs). I then developed a slightly darker than normal tone to the nail near the tips. does this sound familar?

Old 05-21-2004, 08:43 AM   #2

theREDshoes HB User
Re: I used to have white "half moons" at the bottom of all of my nails

Nail moons are found at the base of the nails. They are also known as lunule.

Small or no moons may indicate low metabolism while large moons may indicate an active metalbolism.

Nail moons disappear with age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 04:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: I used to have white "half moons" at the bottom of all of my nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stamos
....then I got sick last year and they slowly dissapeared (except both thumbs). I then developed a slightly darker than normal tone to the nail near the tips. does this sound familar?
The white half moon at the base of the nail is called the lunula and is the leading edge of the matrix. The shorter the matrix, the less nail cells it can produce. The longer the matrix, the more cells it can produce, therefore; persons with a long matrix usually have nails that are thicker and grow faster.

The lunula can usually be seen on the thumbs, the index finger and the middle finger, with less on the ring finger and none on the pinkie.

High fever (whether or not accompanied by infection) will usually effect the matrix in the manner you mention, and can take up to a year to 'heal' itself and return to normal. Age also has a great effect on your nails. As we age, our nails grow slower and will sometimes dry out to the point where the nail plate will develop ridges. These ridges are actually the rail and grooves upon which the nail plate rides forward on the nail bed. Age will also have an effect on the color of the nail plate. It can turn a darker, almost yellowish color as it becomes free edge.

You can usually lighten the discoloration by soaking your nails in 5-minute Polident Denture cleaner every week. Be sure to scrape any solehorn cuticle from the underside of the nail plate (while the skin is moist) because that portion of translucnet skin can become discolored from daily chores, makeup and the like.

I wouldn't worry too much about your nails - they will get better For more information on your natural nails, please visit my (approved by Moderator 1) website: [url]http://www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url]

Last edited by Marti; 05-22-2004 at 04:07 PM.

Closed Thread