It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 10:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Question What is this vertical split down my nail

My right index finger has a vertical split about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length. As my nail grows, the center of it where the split is, does not grow as fast, leaving me with and uneven nail. I continue to clip it but it continues to split down the center. I've had this for over a year now. Has anyone ever heard of this before or have a solution for it. I don't recall ever having damaged it. Also, I use pure Jajoba oil and gloves whenever my hands will be in water for a long time. My other nails are long and pretty. Could it be a fungus or infection?

Old 06-16-2004, 04:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: What is this vertical split down my nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepls
My right index finger has a vertical split about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length. As my nail grows, the center of it where the split is, does not grow as fast, leaving me with and uneven nail. I continue to clip it but it continues to split down the center. I've had this for over a year now. Has anyone ever heard of this before or have a solution for it. I don't recall ever having damaged it. Also, I use pure Jajoba oil and gloves whenever my hands will be in water for a long time. My other nails are long and pretty. Could it be a fungus or infection?
Onychorrhexis are brittle nails which often split vertically, peel and/or have vertical ridges. This irregularity can be the result of heredity, the use of strong solvents in the workplace or the home, including household cleaning solutions. Although oil or paraffin treatments will re-hydrate the nail plate, one may wish to confer with a physician to rule out disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Thanks Marti
When the nail started splitting a little over a year ago, I did have my hands in cleaning solutions every day (Clorox Cleanup). That's why I started wearing gloves and using jojoba oil. I've only been doing that for a few weeks so maybe I should give it more time. Thanks for responding.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepls
Thanks Marti
When the nail started splitting a little over a year ago, I did have my hands in cleaning solutions every day (Clorox Cleanup). That's why I started wearing gloves and using jojoba oil. I've only been doing that for a few weeks so maybe I should give it more time. Thanks for responding.
If the skin of the nail bed has begun to push its way up through the nail plate, it will never heal and will always remain split down the center. If it is just a raised portion that splits at the free edge, you may be able to 'heal' it. Jojoba oil is an excellent oil to use on your skin and nails, but you need to add Vitamin E to the mixture in order to help it 'heal' - vitamin E is an excellent skin 'healing and anti-aging oil' because it will rid the skin and nails of the free-radical molecules that lead to aging, dry skin and nails.

Mix 4-5 oz of jojoba oil with 1/2 oz of vitamin E. Apply to your nails at LEAST twice daily, but ALWAYS at night.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Marti
I read somewhere that mixing the jojoba with vitamin E oil would aid in the skin absorbing the vitamin E but I hadn't been doing it. I will now. I think I can still save the nail bed. It doesn't look like it's pushed its way up to the nail bed yet.
Thanks!

Closed Thread