It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2004, 08:20 PM   #1

scooter8416 HB User
When can't toe nails grow back?

I broke my big toe on the right foot and they had to remove the nail. One doctor working on it said it will grow back and the other doctor said it won't. Will it? Or is it a chance. Also, will walking without a nail be funney and hurt? This sucks....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 05:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: When can't toe nails grow back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter8416
I broke my big toe on the right foot and they had to remove the nail. One doctor working on it said it will grow back and the other doctor said it won't. Will it? Or is it a chance. Also, will walking without a nail be funney and hurt? This sucks....
If the portion of the nail unit that produces the cells that become the nail plate was removed during surgery (the root), the nail plate will not grow back. The toe will feel funny at first, so be very careful in your choice of shoes. If you wear shoes that rub the top of the toe, it would cause further injury to the delicate skin that used to be the nail bed. After a while, this skin will harden and protect the underlying tissues, the nerves and blood supply. That is ALL the nail plate does!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 11:21 AM   #3

scooter8416 HB User

Is the toe nail directly connect to the root?

Old 06-17-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Is the toe nail directly connect to the root?
The root lies deep underneath the skin just behind the cuticle and produces soft, round, plump cells that grow forward from underneath the skin at the cuticle. As the cells grow forward, they lose their inner material and become flat and hard. The 'newest' cells are closest to the cuticle and the hardest, oldest cells, are closest to and become the free edge. If the doctor removed the root of the nail where the nail plate cells are 'born', then nothing is left to produce cells that could form a nail plate. In other words, the root produces the toe nail AND the fingernails.

For more information on your natural nails, please visit this link on my (approved by moderator 1) website:
http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/naturalnails.html

Old 06-17-2004, 11:53 AM   #5

scooter8416 HB User

My toe was "crushed" and when it happened the nail was off at the bottom and pouring out blood. The bottome of the nail was up and sticking out. IN the ER they removed the nail. Im not really sure it they took the root or not...

I sure hope it does come back....

Old 06-18-2004, 05:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
My toe was "crushed" and when it happened the nail was off at the bottom and pouring out blood. The bottome of the nail was up and sticking out. IN the ER they removed the nail. Im not really sure it they took the root or not...

I sure hope it does come back....
In order for them to remove the root of the nail, they would have had to cut into the tissue at the cuticle. If all they did was to cut away the portion of the nail plate that was ripped from the nail bed during the trauma, and as long as the root and the matrix are intact, the nail will grow back. If there was any damage to the nail bed during the trauma, then the nail plate may not grow in a spretty as it was before, but it will grow back. For the nail plate to grow from the matrix and fully replace itself, the process can take up to a year depending on your natural nail growth rate. Remember, toenails grow much slower than fingernails.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
(male)

rexx HB User

Hi, I have a question since it sounds like you're knowledgeable about this subject Marti------I smashed (but it's not crushed) my big toe and the nail broke in two almost at the cuticle looking part of the toe (it's ripped in other words)...this happened a couple of months ago and I see that it appears there is a new nail growing (VERY slowly) but am wondering...should I cut the old toe nail off or let it grow off as the new one grows in? Thanks so much for your reply....Rexx

Old 07-29-2005, 06:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

As the new nail plate emerges, it will push the damaged portion forward as well. Keep the free edge trimmed short so the edges of the split do not tear on your socks, etc. Toenails grow much more slowly than fingernails, so expect a minimum of 6 months for the nail to completely replace itself.

Closed Thread