It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2004, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

marilei HB User
Slammed door on my finger

On monday (the 21st of june)I slammed my car door on the tip of my finger, it hurt a lot after a whille, then i got used to the pain. That night i ended up waking up because it hurt so much. put some ice on my finger/fingernail. The next day passed and it didn't hurt almost anything. Wednesday i forgotten about it while eating my mom told me it was going to fall off since she saw my fingernail purple. anyways i've asked many people and no one seems to know, some say oh yeah it will fall pretty confident while others, no it doenst look that bad. I don't know who to beleive.
Let me explain, i might post a pic tomorrow.
It use to look kind of "violet" not too purple and jsut at the beginning of the nail, today that i look at it it does look alittle "redder" or alittle darker but still doesn't look too bad. half of my finger does seem a lot redder though. But it doens' tlook that bad. And i don't know if it's because of people telling me but my finger feels a lot weaker, like when i hold stuff or type. and when i do something like grab something hard or whatever it does feel different, weaker or whatever. maybe it's my mind but i feel like blood keeps going ther eor whatever.

Sorry for making this so long but i wanted to explain myself. Do you guys think it's going to fall off?

and if it does will it grow back?

Your thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #2

lanena64124 HB User
Re: Slammed door on my finger

I too slamed my finger on door it was like half of my finger and my nail did'nt fall off it just made some kind of layer on top of my nail and naw it looks like I have 2 diffrent kinds of nails but don't worry it's not gonna fall off it doesn't look that bad you know!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 09:08 AM   #3

JoWo HB User

Don't worry. I slammed one of my finger on door too many years back. I was worried sick then when it hurt a little and after a day, it turned purplish and then later it turned purplish black. The nail came off, and I saw the bare skin below but it did not hurt much. Of course there is another new nail that has started growing on that nail too.
In no time, the new nail grow back. I have been through it. Don't worry, be happy.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

marilei HB User

Yeah, it looks fine now. Thanks a lot.

Old 07-12-2004, 01:27 PM   #5

MikeyB HB User

I slammed a car door on my thumb once (I was 13 & screamed like a baby)... I wound up losing the nail.

Last edited by MikeyB; 07-12-2004 at 01:27 PM.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:25 PM   #6

JoWo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB
I slammed a car door on my thumb once (I was 13 & screamed like a baby)... I wound up losing the nail.

I am sure a new nail grew back in place of the lost nail. Though the process is a little slow, I vaguely remember it as a couple of weeks but eventually, your finger will be back to normal, right?

Old 08-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #7

tamaralynn2 HB User

OW OW OW OW OW!!! I did that last year with my thumb... ended up breaking the bone inside it too.
If your nail was hurt at the area where the nail joins from the skin (where it grows out) IT WILL fall off... But don't worry, a perfectly new nail will grow back in it's place.

Don't get all freaky -deaky about it LOL which is what I did... The new nail will push your old one up until the top one falls off (by this time, your new nail will most likely be grown 80% of the way).

Old 09-09-2004, 07:35 PM   #8

tumbler807 HB User

my sister slammed my finger in the door when i was in kindergarten (sliding van door, i stuck my hand inside the front door to close the sliding one) i think i lost half of my nail, and i have a permenant little mark under my finger, but my nail grew back and its fine now (10 years later...) lol

Old 02-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
(male)

LearJet HB User
Question Re: Slammed door on my finger (TOO!) Help?

Hey All - Glad I found this thread... Good stuff!

I too about 2-3 weeks ago, accidently had a car door slammed on my thumb (Ouch!!! ) - Anyway, happened to be at my Doc's a few days after the accident for another issue - And he simply said "It will probably fall off over time" - And that the antibiotic I am taking for adult acne - "should cover it" for any infections... Sooooo - I just kinda wrote it off that I would watch, wait and see what happens...

Oh, I should say, before this I went to *****.COM and read up on how to drain it "properly" with a redhot paperclip - and so I did that like on the 2nd day due to pressure... and that kinda relieved some of the drainage and pain -But now, 3 weeks later, the nail is about 50% black/purple - but is not infected, and think I did a pretty good job of draining... So thought that things would go "back to normal" in several weeks -- Well... Yesterday, I noticed the "base" (sorry, don't know how to descibe, but the end opposite the tip - by the "half-moon") Well, that part of the nail there is now a 2-3 mm "gap" ... In essence, it has begun to seperate from the skin/base... So, am assuming that this thing is starting to fall off...

Ok, now my (stupid) question... I've never lost a nail before... And read some "others" stories on here, but didn't see this question answered... And that is: "Where does the new nail grow in from?" I mean, is it from the base up? Or from the half-moon out? (told you it was dumb)... But also need to know what the timeline is - and what to expect etc...

Thoughts anyone? Many thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
(male)

cryptus92 HB User

thanks for the information, and sorry if my spelling is bad because i slammed my finger today...I was wondering if its okay to put hirudoid cream on the area after applying ice for 40minutes as my mom did so. can someone also tell me how to relieve the pain i little if it really hurts?? My mom experienced this on the same day when she was the same age as me! however that was about 40 years ago and she didnt have any cream or ice...so im not sure if she did the right thing. Her brother 40 years ago had to poke a hole in her fingernail so the blood would flow through. =( it hurts really badly but im not crying like a stuck pig xD

EDIT: about 2 hours later, the pain has subsided considerably and below the violet part there is a white little part ( what is it? ), im afraid that the cream mightve leaked through....it says for external use only

Last edited by cryptus92; 05-08-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User
Re: Slammed door on my finger (TOO!) Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearJet
Hey All - Glad I found this thread... Good stuff!

I too about 2-3 weeks ago, accidently had a car door slammed on my thumb (Ouch!!! ) - Anyway, happened to be at my Doc's a few days after the accident for another issue - And he simply said "It will probably fall off over time" - And that the antibiotic I am taking for adult acne - "should cover it" for any infections... Sooooo - I just kinda wrote it off that I would watch, wait and see what happens...

Oh, I should say, before this I went to *****.COM and read up on how to drain it "properly" with a redhot paperclip - and so I did that like on the 2nd day due to pressure... and that kinda relieved some of the drainage and pain -But now, 3 weeks later, the nail is about 50% black/purple - but is not infected, and think I did a pretty good job of draining... So thought that things would go "back to normal" in several weeks -- Well... Yesterday, I noticed the "base" (sorry, don't know how to descibe, but the end opposite the tip - by the "half-moon") Well, that part of the nail there is now a 2-3 mm "gap" ... In essence, it has begun to seperate from the skin/base... So, am assuming that this thing is starting to fall off...

Ok, now my (stupid) question... I've never lost a nail before... And read some "others" stories on here, but didn't see this question answered... And that is: "Where does the new nail grow in from?" I mean, is it from the base up? Or from the half-moon out? (told you it was dumb)... But also need to know what the timeline is - and what to expect etc...

Thoughts anyone? Many thanks in advance!
The nail will start growing from the half-moon base outwards. I lost a toenail (the big toe) a few years ago when I dropped my end of the couch my DH and I were moving, on it, and had to wear sandals for a year while it took it's time growing completely out.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #12
(female)

deuxlumieres HB User

I'm new here, but had a question about losing a nail: 5 weeks ago I slammed a tailgate on my thumb, and it turned black immediately. It was a serious crush injury, and the doctor told me I would definitely lose the nail. Ok, fast-forward to today, the nail is still on there, but barely. The cuticle is completely gone and all the black, dead blood trapped under the nail is beginning to drain out whenever my hands are wet. And it smells. Bad.
Should I get the nail removed by a doctor? This can't be sanitary! I wear a rubber glove when I cook.
Is this normal? How much longer does it sound like it may be before it falls off on it's own?
Thanks!

Old 02-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

If the nail is loose and has a bad smell, then I think you should have it removed, but only the separated portion. Try soaking the nail in peroxide a couple times a day to make sure there is no infection present. Dead skin and blood do not smell very good when it gets wet. Smell can also signify infection, so you might want to see your physician.

Fingernails can take from 3-6 months to completely replace themselves from the root to the free edge. Yes, the new emerging nail plate will be firmly attached to the nail bed and will grow forward attached. The lifted portion of nail will not reattach.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
(female)

deuxlumieres HB User
Smile Re: Slammed door on my finger

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely try to peroxide. I should have thought of it sooner. I'm seeing my doc at lunch today, so hopefully he can tell me if the smell is infection, or just old blood draining out.
If he doesn't think the nail needs to be removed, I'm hoping he can at least flush it out and get all the icky blood out of there.
Thanks!

-Jennifer

Old 01-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #15
(female)

katzamber HB User

Hi I have also slamed my door in a big thick door, I have just about the same storys as you exsept it was my back door and it hirt a lot when i slamed it i cryed a lot. My mom saw it it was pirple and other wird colors, she said it was probly going to fall of. A few days later im on my computer with my nail hanging half off looking for a web site (so stupedly) on how to remove a nail. and then it brout me here... i dont think you should worry, It dosent hirt when it falls of and my friend said she last a few nails in her life, but it alwes grows back so i dont think you should worry (unles its ozing out green stuff) like mine did.

then its enfected and you should go to the docter to get it checked out.

Closed Thread