It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 04:53 PM   #1

gretel HB User
Toenail separating from itself at the base

Up until about a week ago the nail on my big toe looked totally normal - healthy and pink. I haven't had any pain, and I haven't had any injuries. About a week ago a dark brown horizontal line appeared across my entire nail about 1/3 of the way up from the base of my toenail, following the curve of the nail tip... it was probably 1/4 of an inch thick. A couple days later I was wading in water for most of the day, and after my shower that night I noticed a crack along the entire base of my nail and that the nail had separated. At first I thought it was a fungus, but now I'm not sure... I trimmed away most of the detached area, because it was rough and snagging on fabrics (like my couch, and bed sheets), andbelow it is still more nail. The nail underneath, although obviously thin, looks healthy. The separation is only to the top of that dark brown line, which is now mostly white, because the nail is separated, and the top 2/3 of my nail still looks completely normal.

I still feel no pain, or any other abnormal sensation, and there is no debris. The part I trimmed off was not brittle at all, and felt just like trimming the nail tip.

Since I live in a desert, and temperatures are regularly above 100 F in the summer, I live in my sandals, so my feet are dry, and I apply lotion numerous times a day.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Toenail separating from itself at the base

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretel
Up until about a week ago the nail on my big toe looked totally normal - healthy and pink. I haven't had any pain, and I haven't had any injuries. About a week ago a dark brown horizontal line appeared across my entire nail about 1/3 of the way up from the base of my toenail, following the curve of the nail tip... it was probably 1/4 of an inch thick. A couple days later I was wading in water for most of the day, and after my shower that night I noticed a crack along the entire base of my nail and that the nail had separated. At first I thought it was a fungus, but now I'm not sure... I trimmed away most of the detached area, because it was rough and snagging on fabrics (like my couch, and bed sheets), andbelow it is still more nail. The nail underneath, although obviously thin, looks healthy. The separation is only to the top of that dark brown line, which is now mostly white, because the nail is separated, and the top 2/3 of my nail still looks completely normal.

I still feel no pain, or any other abnormal sensation, and there is no debris. The part I trimmed off was not brittle at all, and felt just like trimming the nail tip.

Since I live in a desert, and temperatures are regularly above 100 F in the summer, I live in my sandals, so my feet are dry, and I apply lotion numerous times a day.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks for any help!
Was the line running from the cuticle to the free edge, or going from side to side?

It sounds like it was running vertical, so I am assuming that there was some kind of trauma to the matrix of the nail, however slight, or to the nail plate itself. This will result in a separation of the nail plate cells, which will fill up with blood from the nail bed. Once these separated nail plate cells fill up with blood, they will cause the surface portion of the nail plate to split and become ragged. Unless the damage was done to the actual nail bed, the layer of nail plate cells that rest on the nail bed will remain tightly adhered.

You can lightly buff the ragged portion of surface nail plate with an abrasive buffer with no lower than a 240 grit - 100 or 80 grit will remove too much of the surface and leave the weaker portion of the bottom layer of nail plate exposed to the possibility of further damage.

Once you have smoothed the most ragged portion of the nail plate with the buffer, cleanse the nail with alcohol and let it dry. Then, apply a coating of nail glue to the surface of the damaged portion to seal the surface and let the glue dry. The nail plate should grow out normal after the damaged portion grows forward.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 10:04 AM   #3

gretel HB User

The line is going from side to side.
It separated right at the cuticle, so it is a clean line there.

I can take a picture and post it, if you'd like

Old 07-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
(female)

giddyup715 HB User

Wow! I had the same problem last year. The pills they wanted me to take would not be covered on insurance cause my liver was not up to par. The cream was 180.00 Dollars (not covered by insurance). My dr. said that he would just remove the whole big toenail and that it would never grow back.
I then went to a dermatologist about my face and showed her my toenail. She gave me some cream for it. I put the cream on religiously every night and morning then covered it. my toenail finally just came off, but it did grow back and looks nice and normal now. After my toenail fell off, it looked a little freaky for the summer. My daughter painted my toenails and painted a make-believe toenail on the nailess toe. It was a fungus.

Old 07-16-2004, 05:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretel
The line is going from side to side.
It separated right at the cuticle, so it is a clean line there.

I can take a picture and post it, if you'd like
I seriously doubt if what you have is any type of fungus. Usually, when the nail displays this type of characteristic, it is from some kind of trauma to the nail matrix - the portion of nail where the nail plate cells are born. Fungus CAN invade the space, so keep the nail clean and dry - alcohol will work just fine to keep the nail dehydrated. This removes the mositure from the nail plate which is what an infection needs in order to grow.

Fungus is characterized by the nail plate completely lifting from the nail bed, a yellowish discoloration, apparent thickening of the plate and apparent debris in the area of lift.

Just take special care with it so you do not damage it further and it will be fine.

Closed Thread