It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 09:11 PM   #1

yoshinobo HB User
Question Is Receding Nail Bed Reversible?

For the longest time, I had the bad habit of biting and picking my nails. Sometimes, the nail would lift a little bit from the nail bed, and when it heals, the parts that was lifted never got re-attached again to the nail bed. So over the years, the line where the white part of the free nail meets the pink part of the nail bed has receded, and the shape of my nails is kind of crooked. I'm wondering if I grow my nails out, is there any way to let my nails re-attach to the nail bed again and let the pink part extend out more?

Old 08-06-2004, 04:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Is Receding Nail Bed Reversible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshinobo
For the longest time, I had the bad habit of biting and picking my nails. Sometimes, the nail would lift a little bit from the nail bed, and when it heals, the parts that was lifted never got re-attached again to the nail bed. So over the years, the line where the white part of the free nail meets the pink part of the nail bed has receded, and the shape of my nails is kind of crooked. I'm wondering if I grow my nails out, is there any way to let my nails re-attach to the nail bed again and let the pink part extend out more?
When the nail experiences repeated trauma, such as when one bites their nails, the nail will recede. The underlying exposed nail bed will eventually turn itself into 'normal' skin and no longer allow the nail plate to ride forward because the rails and grooves upon which it rides forward are no longer there. IN other words, if this has been an on-going, long term habit, then the shape and length of the nail bed are now firmly defined and the 'pink' portion of the attached nail will remain as it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread