It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 08:43 PM   #1

Christin HB User
Exclamation Black lines in fingernails???

I just noticed that 3 of my fingernails on my right hand have a tiny, vertical black line on them. Barely noticeable on thumb and first finger, and slightly longer and darker on middle finger. Being the hypochondriac that I am, I did a google search and a few different sources say that it could be signs of heart trouble. Does anyone have any more thoughts or suggestions of how concerned I should be, if at all? Thanks!

Old 08-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Black lines in fingernails???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin
I just noticed that 3 of my fingernails on my right hand have a tiny, vertical black line on them. Barely noticeable on thumb and first finger, and slightly longer and darker on middle finger. Being the hypochondriac that I am, I did a google search and a few different sources say that it could be signs of heart trouble. Does anyone have any more thoughts or suggestions of how concerned I should be, if at all? Thanks!
Splinter hemorraghes can be a sign of heart problems, but generally are a different thing all together. They are mostly caused by tiny voids in the nail plate cell production. They fill up with blood from the nail bed and appear as tiny black lines that look much like you have a splinter under your nail. Your nail plate will ride forward on the nail bed much like a train rides forward on its tracks. The rails are on the nail bed, and the grooves are on the underside of the nail plate. The voids are usually on the underside of the nail plate which allows them to fill with blood from the nail bed. They usualy are nothing to worry about unless there is a history of heart problems in your family. If so, then I would have a stress test perfromed if your doctor believes it to be warranted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #3

Christin HB User

Hey thanks for the info Marti! Yeah, they look just like splinters. Now the one on my first finger has gone away, but the other two haven't changed. Gosh, I would hope that if there was something wrong with my heart that there would be SOME other kind of symptom besides just this! While I am extremely overweight and unhealthy, I am also only 28 years old and no history of heart trouble in the genes that I know of, so I'll bet it is just like you said. Thanks again!

Old 09-16-2004, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

dianabarry HB User

I have them too, on two fingers. I always thought it was some type of deficiency or something like that. Funny this is they were on he other hand a couple of years ago.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:23 AM   #5

dragonfly20 HB User

I get my nails done on a regular basis and my nail lady said they are bruises. I get them on my pointer fingers usually, but sometimes on my other fingers as well. They are nothing to worry about. When they get down far enough for me to get under them, I get something sharp and scrape them off. Really, I asked her and she said it's nothing...

Old 10-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #6
(female)

Jacquie23 HB User

lol yes I also get them, but I really thought they were splinters so I would try to take them out, but they I was getting more and more of them, and they were in to deep to be a splinter and to often. yes I haven't looked at them in a long time, but just looking now, I see that I have 4. but they are not that bad.

it could be somthing to do with the heart, because the only black thing that could get under my nail would be... hmmm... let me think..... blood, thats the only thing the body carries that would dry up and look black. but its such a little sign, that a doctor is not going to do anything for you, so you have got to take you health in to your own hands, buy vitamins exercise daily, and eat healthy, and most important, do not stress. that could be bad on the heart.

but I should do all this my self here. lol
I know what needs to be done, but actually doing it is hard, but in the end I determin my fate right.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly20
I get my nails done on a regular basis and my nail lady said they are bruises. I get them on my pointer fingers usually, but sometimes on my other fingers as well. They are nothing to worry about. When they get down far enough for me to get under them, I get something sharp and scrape them off. Really, I asked her and she said it's nothing...

No, they aren't bruises. All nail technicians are taught in school that they are voids in the nail plate cells that fill up with blood from the underlying tissues. A bruise would be if yo uslammed your nails in a car door and the space between you rnail bed and you rnail plate would fill up 'totally' with blood. If they were bruises, the entire nail plate would be black with blood.

Closed Thread