It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 12:59 PM   #1

mojobubba HB User
My kids are losing their nails! HELP?!?!?

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old that appear to be losing nails. This started three weeks ago when my 4 yo daughter had an indent in her thumbnail at the cuticle. I figured she slammed it and it would grow out. Then it turned grayish brown and separated (almost completely) from the nail bed after about a week. No big deal because it was one nail and I figured it was trauma related. After about ten days we noticed another on the other hand beginning to go the same way. Next day, one of the toes. So we scheduled with her doctor right away.

Everything on the internet seems to point to a fungus, and the visit to her doctor a few days ago seemed to lean that way as well (by then she had four fingers and a toe going dark). Her doctor said she had never seen a fungus with anyone under 15 (but our daughter is special so that's ok) and that it isn't contagious so we are good with that too. She prescribed Penlac 8% solution to paint her nails with since an oral medication is too risky for someone of that age.

To date she has 5 fingers and a toe with "it" and now her two-year-old brother has 4 fingers and a toe. His showed in about three days. Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on???? Our dermatologist can't get us in until the end of Sep.

Anybody have a thought?

Last edited by mojobubba; 08-30-2004 at 01:00 PM.

Old 08-31-2004, 05:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: My kids are losing their nails! HELP?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobubba
I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old that appear to be losing nails. This started three weeks ago when my 4 yo daughter had an indent in her thumbnail at the cuticle. I figured she slammed it and it would grow out. Then it turned grayish brown and separated (almost completely) from the nail bed after about a week. No big deal because it was one nail and I figured it was trauma related. After about ten days we noticed another on the other hand beginning to go the same way. Next day, one of the toes. So we scheduled with her doctor right away.

Everything on the internet seems to point to a fungus, and the visit to her doctor a few days ago seemed to lean that way as well (by then she had four fingers and a toe going dark). Her doctor said she had never seen a fungus with anyone under 15 (but our daughter is special so that's ok) and that it isn't contagious so we are good with that too. She prescribed Penlac 8% solution to paint her nails with since an oral medication is too risky for someone of that age.

To date she has 5 fingers and a toe with "it" and now her two-year-old brother has 4 fingers and a toe. His showed in about three days. Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on???? Our dermatologist can't get us in until the end of Sep.

Anybody have a thought?
Your fingernails are a direct link to what goes on internally. Usually, a brown discoloration is not characteristic of fingernail fungus. Fungus can only be determined if the physician takes a scraping of any apparent debris in the area of lift and grows a culture. Fungus is characterized by a yellowish discoloration, nail plate separation and apparent debris in the area of lift. Pseudomonas bacterial infections are characterized by a yellow to green to brown to black discoloration in the nail plate with apparent nail plate separation, but there is no apparent debris in the area of separation.

Fungus takes a long time to take hold in the nail bed before the nail plate discolors and separates. It does not take just a few days or weeks. Pseudomonas, on the other hand, can become apparent in a weeks time. Fungus is caused by a spore, ane pseudomonas is caused by a bacterium, so the two need to be treated differently. Pseudomonas can usually be 'killed' by keeping the nail plate clean and dry by wiping with alcohol several times a day. The stain is a by-product of the infection and is composed mainly of iron compounds.

I highly suggest you keep that appointment with the dermatologist. There may be an internal problem that has affected both children and is showing up in their nails in this manner.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 03:30 AM   #3

mojobubba HB User
Re: My kids are losing their nails! HELP?!?!?

Thought I might finish this thread with the answer as we think it is. My wife recalled the children being sick about a month or so prior to this episode, and in the searching I have done on the internet, it appears that the high fever they had for a day most likely was the culprit. They lost what was discolored and everything grew back fine. Both their doctor and dermatologist were of very little help in this. All's well that ends well.

Closed Thread