It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #1

grenow HB User
Big toenails won't grow!

Late last year both my big toenails stopped growing, thickened, and the skin at the base went red and was quite sore. I went to the doctor who said it was a bacterial infection (and was interested that my big toenails apparently had no cuticle), and prescribed an antibiotic ointment. After I used this, the pain and redness went away, and the toenails grew again for about 2 months (about 4mm), with a big ridge between the old, thickened nail and the new pink nail.
But since then, they seem not to have grown at all. I went to another doctor and she said they were fine, and it could take 18 months for them to grow out, but I can tell nothing's happening! Is there anything else I should do? I try to keep them 'well aired', but I get cramps if my feet get cold, so I really need to wear socks/slippers all the time. But I'd like them to stop looking so bizarre before summer and sandals arrive!

Old 09-21-2004, 04:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Big toenails won't grow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenknowe
Late last year both my big toenails stopped growing, thickened, and the skin at the base went red and was quite sore. I went to the doctor who said it was a bacterial infection (and was interested that my big toenails apparently had no cuticle), and prescribed an antibiotic ointment. After I used this, the pain and redness went away, and the toenails grew again for about 2 months (about 4mm), with a big ridge between the old, thickened nail and the new pink nail.
But since then, they seem not to have grown at all. I went to another doctor and she said they were fine, and it could take 18 months for them to grow out, but I can tell nothing's happening! Is there anything else I should do? I try to keep them 'well aired', but I get cramps if my feet get cold, so I really need to wear socks/slippers all the time. But I'd like them to stop looking so bizarre before summer and sandals arrive!
Toenails grow much slower than fingernails, so yoru doctor is right that it can take up to (and sometimes longer) than a year for the nail to completely replace itself. You can use a 240 grit white block buffer to buff the raised portion of the nail plate to give it a better appearance, and to blend it with the new emerging nail plate. Just be sure not to remove too many layers when doing this, and do not do it very often as it will thin out the nail plate. Keep the nails short as well to prevent any further trauma.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marti For This Useful Post:
shefayrig15 (01-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread