It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

lotsawalls HB User
Unhappy Pain after acrylic nails (PLEASE help!)

I am a chronic nail biter, and have very little natural nail. I got desperate and had some acrylic nails put on today, and I'm in a lot of pain! My fingertips are throbbing and I am so sore it hurts to touch anything, and even to type right now. Is this common, and when will it start feeling better? They are SOOO sore!

If anyone is reading this tonight, can you put my mind at ease? I'm worried about this being harmful to my damaged nail beds (from biting back so much). Will they heal under the acrylic?

Thanks,
Cyndi

Old 09-25-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User
Re: Pain after acrylic nails (PLEASE help!)

I got gel nails about 6 months ago because I have weak brittle nails, and yes, mine hurt for a couple days afterward, it went away and now it isn't a problem anymore...even when I get fills done they don't hurt. I think it was just because they file the nail down. If it continues to hurt, you could always call a nail place and just ask them if it is normal, but I know mine were sore for a couple days. I had thought about having them removed because they hurt and I had a hard time adjusting to them the first day, but I gave them a chance and now I can't be without them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
(female)

lotsawalls HB User

Thanks for the response. They feel better this morning. They are still sore, but the throbbing is gone. Hopefully the soreness will be gone soon too!

Old 09-27-2004, 02:29 AM   #4

Crimson_tech HB User

I've been getting acrylic nails for about 3 years. Sometimes a new set will make your fingers sore but once you "suffer" this one, you shouldn't ever be sore by the time you wake up the next day. My best friend and I usually go in together and we both have the soreness from time to time. It's totally normal.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_tech
I've been getting acrylic nails for about 3 years. Sometimes a new set will make your fingers sore but once you "suffer" this one, you shouldn't ever be sore by the time you wake up the next day. My best friend and I usually go in together and we both have the soreness from time to time. It's totally normal.
No, it isn't "totally normal" for anyone to experience pain when having nails applied, or even after! If you experience pain of any sort, then the technician did something wrong; she probably filed too much of your natural nail plate away in an attempt to get the product to adhere to your nail plate. This type of technique is referred to as "etching", which is a technique we used in the 70's when we didn't know any better.

With today's products, the technician only needs to GENTLY buff the surface of the nail to remove ONLY the surface shine - she doesn't need to destroy the nail plate in the process by using a file with too coarse a grit, or worse yet; using a drill on the natural nail, or allowing friction 'heat' to build up in the nail plate/bed from improper use of the drill or a hand file.

www.hooked-on-nails.com (link approved by Moderator 1)

Old 09-28-2004, 01:38 PM   #6

Crimson_tech HB User

You know, you might be right... I haven't had any pain since I switched salons. (My normal one was closed so I went to another and liked their products better) I guess I stand corrected.

The salon I go to now gives me good sets almost every time and I can't recall being sore after a new set there. The only problem I still have is lifting where the artificial tip is glued to my nail. Then dirt gets trapped in there and to clean it, I make it lift more... neverending cycle.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_tech
You know, you might be right... I haven't had any pain since I switched salons. (My normal one was closed so I went to another and liked their products better) I guess I stand corrected.

The salon I go to now gives me good sets almost every time and I can't recall being sore after a new set there. The only problem I still have is lifting where the artificial tip is glued to my nail. Then dirt gets trapped in there and to clean it, I make it lift more... neverending cycle.
The tips do not lift from the natural nail - the natural nail gets dried out and curls away from the tips. Go to Sally Beauty Supply and get some Botanical OIl from the nail department. Apply this to your nails, and the underside of the nails, at least twice daily. It will keep the acrylic flexible and re-hydrate the natural nail as well as the cuticles.

Closed Thread