It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 09:54 PM   #1

ispakles HB User
white slits of nails at sides

I accidently cut my nails at the sides a few months ago and now the nail grows outwards by the sides so I get white slits of nails at the side that wont grow out. Anyone can help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: white slits of nails at sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispakles
I accidently cut my nails at the sides a few months ago and now the nail grows outwards by the sides so I get white slits of nails at the side that wont grow out. Anyone can help me?
It sounds more like hang nails to me than an actual separation of the nail plate into two portions. Hang nails don't grow like the nail plate does. You can soften them with lotions and try to clip them off as close to the side of the nail as possible. I would suggest using a good quality nail and cuticle oil to help keep the area conditioned; Botanical Oil is good and is availalbe in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply. Also, using a "cuticle remover' product will help to get rid of them as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 08:46 AM   #3

ispakles HB User

what are hang nails? I tried clipping then off several times but it just grow back and its even more obvious as I cut deeper in each time. Now there would be a gap at the sides of the nail and flesh when i cut it away.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispakles
what are hang nails? I tried clipping then off several times but it just grow back and its even more obvious as I cut deeper in each time. Now there would be a gap at the sides of the nail and flesh when i cut it away.
What 'they' are are hardened bits of skin. DON"T cut them - it only makes them worse. Get some cuticle remover from Sally Beauty Supply as well as some Botanical oil. Treat them just as you would calloused skin - moisturize the heck out of them!

Closed Thread