It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 01:18 PM   #1

sixhudsons HB User
Separation from nail bed

I have a few nails that are separating from the nail bed. It is a paiful process! Can anyone tell me what causes it? Thanks!

Old 10-20-2004, 04:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Separation from nail bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixhudsons
I have a few nails that are separating from the nail bed. It is a paiful process! Can anyone tell me what causes it? Thanks!
Nail plate separation is caused by just a couple of things: fungal infection, yeast infection, or trauma to the nail bed.

Fungal infection is characterized by nail plate separation, a yellowish discoloration, nail plate thinckening and apparent debris in the area of lift.

Yeast infection is characterized by nail plate separation, a white discoloration, but no apparent debris.

Trauma to the free edge of the nail that is usually caused by continued downward tip pressure can cause the nail to separate.

The only one that would actually cause pain is trauma, so if you haven't experienced any trauma to the nail, I would suggest seeking the advise of your physician.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User

I have this problem too, but I was told it was psoriasis. I thought for years it was fungal, but no treatment worked. I did a treatment for 6 weeks where the nail bed was injected on either side with cortozone (it hurt really bad) and then radiation of just my fingers. It didn't work at all :-( My thumb nail is almost completely off and is very painful and just catches on everything, it looks horrible. The rest of my nails, including my toes are lifting from the top, but not back as far as my thumb...yet... I've heard its very hard to treat. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahall
I have this problem too, but I was told it was psoriasis. I thought for years it was fungal, but no treatment worked. I did a treatment for 6 weeks where the nail bed was injected on either side with cortozone (it hurt really bad) and then radiation of just my fingers. It didn't work at all :-( My thumb nail is almost completely off and is very painful and just catches on everything, it looks horrible. The rest of my nails, including my toes are lifting from the top, but not back as far as my thumb...yet... I've heard its very hard to treat. Good luck!
Psoriasis of the nails is characterized by nail plate pitting. The nail plate can eventually crumble and leave the sensitive nail bed exposed. There is really nothing one can do for nail psoriasis, but there is a support group/message board that might help you. Just type 'nail psoriasis' into your web browser and you will find many links to visit.

Closed Thread