It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

malcolm28 HB User
vertical ridges

I have developed raised vertical ridges in all my nails, the worst are my thumbs.I've read on several sites this could be from malnutrition,but I don't feel that is the case.I also have been feeling pretty lousy.I went to the DR. had some blood tests and he told me everything is fine, But I feel something is going on.Does anybody know what could cause ridges like this?

Old 11-05-2004, 04:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: vertical ridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm28
I have developed raised vertical ridges in all my nails, the worst are my thumbs.I've read on several sites this could be from malnutrition,but I don't feel that is the case.I also have been feeling pretty lousy.I went to the DR. had some blood tests and he told me everything is fine, But I feel something is going on.Does anybody know what could cause ridges like this?
The ridges you are seeing are normal. When they appear in younger persons, it is usually a sign that the nail plate has become dried out. The nail plate rides forward on the nail bed by a series of rails and grooves, much like a train rides forward on its tracks. As we age, or if the nail plate becomes dried out from the use of strong solvents, these rails and grooves become apparent and show up in the nail plate as ridges. You might try wearing gloves when using household cleaning solutions as these products will wick the natural oils and moisture from the skin and the nail plae, leaving them dry. YOu can also rehydrate the nail plate with twice daily applications of a good quality nail and cuticle oil such as Botanical Oil. Botanical Oil is available in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply, or you can use Solar Oil which is available in Ulta Cosmetic outlets nationwide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread