It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
(male)

Jeepduster HB User
Swolen and red around finger nail?

My right index finger has become swolen and red around the nail. The reddest and most swollen part of the finger is at the base of the nail and my finger. On the left base side of my finger-nail the skin has turned sort of white also. The entire finger throbs in pain , and there is an incredible amount of pressure on my nail. Any suggestions? I have been putting my finger in hott soapy water?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 05:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Swolen and red around finger nail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepduster
My right index finger has become swolen and red around the nail. The reddest and most swollen part of the finger is at the base of the nail and my finger. On the left base side of my finger-nail the skin has turned sort of white also. The entire finger throbs in pain , and there is an incredible amount of pressure on my nail. Any suggestions? I have been putting my finger in hott soapy water?
It sounds to me like you may have a paronychia infection of the nail folds. You will need to see your doctor for a prescription because it will not go away with home-remedies. Paronychia is a form of yeast infection that compromises the skin surrounding the nail fold. Go to my website, click on the Nail Disorders link and scroll down to the picture of paronychia. If it loos anything like that, go to your doctor. http://www.hooked-on-nails.com (link approved by Moderator 1.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

ibtara86 HB User

Hi Marti, you seem to know your nails! :-) I'm having a problem with my cuticles.Their cracked and they bleed, and around the top of my nail is red. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Also, I know your going to say its not my cuticle but it is. Not my eponychium, its the cuticle and the lateral nail folds. This is not just one finger. Its all of them! Please help.

Last edited by ibtara86; 01-06-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtara86
Hi Marti, you seem to know your nails! :-) I'm having a problem with my cuticles.Their cracked and they bleed, and around the top of my nail is red. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Also, I know your going to say its not my cuticle but it is. Not my eponychium, its the cuticle and the lateral nail folds. This is not just one finger. Its all of them! Please help.

The true cuticle is the transparent skin that grows forward with the nail plate; although I will say that the majority of people refer to the eponychium as the cuticle, so I won't 'correct' you

Your skin is severly dry! whenever the skin cracks and bleeds, it is lacking the proper porprtions of natural oils and moisture. This is normally supplied by the underlying tissues, so the less oils and moisture secreted by your skin, the worse the splitting, peeling, bleeding and redness.

Do you have your hands inwater a lot? Is the weather where you live real dry (cold) right now? Do you use any type of solvents, including household cleaning solutions, without wearing gloves? All of these factors contribute to your condition, but a single one may also be the culprit.

Get some Botanical Oil from your local Sally Beauty Supply, or any other type of nail and cuticle oil that contains jojoba oil. Apply liberally to the nails and massage into the skin and nails at LEAST twice daily. Alow the oil to be absorbed into the skin, then apply a light coating of vaseline to each finger. The vaseline will act as a barrier to the weather, water, etc., but I would also suggest wearing gloves whenever you have to have your hands wet for any reason other than bathing and simple handwashing.

You could also apply a cortisone cream/ointment to the effected area after you allow the oil to absorb into the skin.

My husbands fingers look like this every winter, but he is much too 'macho' to apply "all that stuff" to his fingers. I just tell him that if he treats them, they won't do that and that I will not listen to him complain)))

Old 01-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
(female)

ibtara86 HB User

Thanks for your reply! I will go to sallys asap! But I dont do any of those things, keep my hands in water, chemicals and the weather is usually never real cold here(alabama) but my fingers look like this year round..ect. My fingers have been this way since I was a small child. (To much info BUT..) They will get hard and crack all around my fingers then I want to pick at it, and it bleeds.

I've just started nursing school this week.. I cant have my fingers/nails looking like this! Also do you know any good nail growing/strengthing products? Thanks for all your help, I thought I was the only one with this problem.

Last edited by ibtara86; 01-07-2005 at 11:00 AM.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtara86
Thanks for your reply! I will go to sallys asap! But I dont do any of those things, keep my hands in water, chemicals and the weather is usually never real cold here(alabama) but my fingers look like this year round..ect. My fingers have been this way since I was a small child. (To much info BUT..) They will get hard and crack all around my fingers then I want to pick at it, and it bleeds.

I've just started nursing school this week.. I cant have my fingers/nails looking like this! Also do you know any good nail growing/strengthing products? Thanks for all your help, I thought I was the only one with this problem.
You could very well have excema around the nails since this has been an on-going complaint since childhood. The oil will still help as will the cortisone cream/ointment. Please learn to wear gloves while nursing; it is not only for your health, but for the health of your skin. Wash your hands with MILD soap such as ivory or another of your choice. Choose one that says for sensitive or severly dry skin. Pure lanolin will also help - especially if it is excema.

Closed Thread