It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2004, 01:00 AM   #1
(female)

z0ey HB User
Nails keep dropping off for no reason!

Hi,

This is weird, my whole nails came off with no pain or no whatever reason! I feel nothing, there's no sore or redness or anything but new tiny newborn nail can be seen.... It's my 3rd toenails now! My fingernails are fine. Can somebody help me out here? My mom said I must have injured it awhile back without realizing it..but 3 nails??? Good new is they are growing out new toenails. Is there such thing as toeing like teething?

Thanks
Zoe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Nails keep dropping off for no reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0ey
Hi,

This is weird, my whole nails came off with no pain or no whatever reason! I feel nothing, there's no sore or redness or anything but new tiny newborn nail can be seen.... It's my 3rd toenails now! My fingernails are fine. Can somebody help me out here? My mom said I must have injured it awhile back without realizing it..but 3 nails??? Good new is they are growing out new toenails. Is there such thing as toeing like teething?

Thanks
Zoe
There is always a reason and the most usual one is that you might be wearing ill-fitting shoes, or the shoes are rubbing the surface of those particular toenails. Repeated trauma to the nails can injur the matrix and the result is permanent nail plate damage because the matrix cannot produce healthy cells. How long has this been happening? Have you asked your doctor? If you can rule out injury or genetics, then it may be a health problem and you should ask your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
(female)

eltwins HB User

Well... so are mine coming off. First I noticed the bid tow on my right foot coming off. Then the third toe in on the right foot did come off. Now I've noticed the big toe on my left foot is coming off! So, the two big toe nails are detached at the side and across the nail, but still attached at one side. I can't get them off and the new nail is at the bottom ready to grow up. I too have had a thyroid check, what wlse can it be? I am a 38 yar old female.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
(male)

futurebuoy HB User

Same thing is happening to me. I've had 3 nails just peel off slowly by themselves. I noticed an odd sensation in my sock the first time this occurred, and at the end of the day when I took the sock off, the old toenail came with it. I was pleased to see that a new nail had grown in.

I walked 30 miles on mostly paved roads & sidewalks, in new boots, back in September. Some blisters on the bottom of my feet gave me the most discomfort (after a few days of rest and healing), but eventually I felt normal again after a few weeks. Except that after another couple of weeks, some time in October, my first nail peeled off. Then the second one maybe about a month later, a now a third is about ready to fall off. It's like a scab, in that if pulled off prematurely it won't be fully covered by the new nail.

I do still wear these boots on many days. But they don't feel as though they're ill-fitting. I'm wondering about the actual cause here too.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

luv2sing HB User

I am so glad I found this post! I just noticed that my 3rd toenail has peeled halfway off. I am a waitress and recently got new shoes so I wonder if it is the fact that I haven't had a pedicure in awhile and my toenails do need to be clipped. It just kinda freaked me out but now I see that it happens to others so I am just concerned about it falling off completely and if it will grow back...

Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
(male)

futurebuoy HB User

A web search got me this information and more - the link is to an article that states two things will cause toenails to fall off like this (it's called onychoptosis)...

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2545.html

Apparently it's either caused by fungus or injury, and injuries can be caused by the toes getting constantly jammed against the shoe. More or less like Marti wrote. This appears to explain my situation and I can see where a waitress could develop a problem too.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi,

Had one nail and then another and another to come off, repeatedly the last couple of years. No pain, no injuries that I was aware of and the primary doc didn't think it was fungus, but finally sent me to dermatologist. What a surprise that it was fungus and the bigger shock was that it was from athletes foot.

No sign there either as no burning, no itching, no nothing. The lone sign was that the bottom of my feet were slick and bright pink. I thought pink skin was healthy! Anyway, used topical cream and took Lamisil for 2 months and all is clear and nails are not coming off.

If you've not had an injury, perhaps a trip to the dermatologist would serve to resolve the problem.

Closed Thread