It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #1

Triffin1 HB User
Genetic Double Toenail?

Hey there! I've been searching for a while on a condition that's afflicted several (that I know of) generations of women on my mum's side of the family. The condition is that my grandmother, mother, older sister, and myself all have split pinky-toenails on our feet, both left and right, although it seems to be a bit more prominent on the right. At least in my case. And visually it's a bit unnerving. I know my sister and mother have tried to get rid of their's through any number of ways, and I've certainly taken a clipper to the 'extra' nail any number of times, but it always grows back. I was just wondering if anyone here knows anything about this? Our background is from Scotland/Poland/Ukraine, and yes, the toenails have -always- been doubled, there was never a painful incident involving breaking or splitting of it, heh. Just a weird trait that's bothersome, especially for getting pedicures done. So if anyone has anything to say on it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Triffin1 For This Useful Post:
MsBlue (11-09-2012)
Old 01-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User
Re: Genetic Double Toenail?

I will be interested in hearing an answer to this as well.I have always had double toenails on my pinky toes.My dad has it also~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatamess@35
I will be interested in hearing an answer to this as well.I have always had double toenails on my pinky toes.My dad has it also~
Ok, here goes: the nail plate is developed in the matrix (root) where there are three main layers. The deepest layer is the one that is attached to the nail bed. The top layer is the one you can touch. When the middle layer does not produce the correct amount of cells, the nail plate will appear to be separated. This is not an uncommon occurrance, but is always genetic in nature.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
(female)

Sunshine797 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triffin1
Hey there! I've been searching for a while on a condition that's afflicted several (that I know of) generations of women on my mum's side of the family. The condition is that my grandmother, mother, older sister, and myself all have split pinky-toenails on our feet, both left and right, although it seems to be a bit more prominent on the right. At least in my case. And visually it's a bit unnerving. I know my sister and mother have tried to get rid of their's through any number of ways, and I've certainly taken a clipper to the 'extra' nail any number of times, but it always grows back. I was just wondering if anyone here knows anything about this? Our background is from Scotland/Poland/Ukraine, and yes, the toenails have -always- been doubled, there was never a painful incident involving breaking or splitting of it, heh. Just a weird trait that's bothersome, especially for getting pedicures done. So if anyone has anything to say on it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
I'm not sure, but I have the same thing on my right pinky toe. I have a full nail, and then this tiny little nail along side it. It drives me really crazy that I try to remove it with a toenail clippers.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
(female)

splenda999 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Genetic Double Toenail?

I have the same double toenails, so are all my family members on my mom's side. and i am Chinese. My grandma told me this is how we different from Han people ( we are Manchu, who found Qing Dynasty and rulee China in late 1800).

this morning, I try to put these very tied socks on, and my extra toenail on my little toe just plit by the force i put from sock, and it's really hurt, i got tear in my eye. I have to cut it then(normally the extra nail won't bother me). so i wonder, is it true what my grandma wold me, or there are some other explainations.
so i ******d double toenail.

The Following User Says Thank You to splenda999 For This Useful Post:
MsBlue (11-10-2012)
Old 07-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
(male)

ayam666 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by splenda999 View Post
I have the same double toenails, so are all my family members on my mom's side. and i am Chinese. My grandma told me this is how we different from Han people ( we are Manchu, who found Qing Dynasty and rulee China in late 1800).
I have double toenails, my parents have double toenails. I have not been thingking about it for years now. Last night I noticed that my 2 year-old daughter's pinky tonenail has a very small notch. Potentially it could be a double toenail. We are Chinese. Although I don't think my wife has it. I have not anyone else with this condition.

My dad said the same thing about it that it has something to do with being Chinese.

It annoys me and I have always tried to clip it, especially since it is quite thick, it looks kind of funny - its small, thick and rounded.

One day I'll take photos of them - mine and my family's and post it on my web site.

Last edited by ayam666; 07-08-2008 at 04:56 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ayam666 For This Useful Post:
MsBlue (11-09-2012)
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
(female)

Bonnie1978 HB User

I also have this toenail problem. On occasions it is very painful and bleeds.
I was told as a teenager that I could have an operation to remove it but a situation arose to delay the surgery.
I have 3 of my 4 children with the same problem. 1 has only 1 little toenail affected the other 2 have both toes affected.
I am from scottish/english background.
I believe the gene is from my fathers side as mum can't recall anyone else having it on her side (dad has passed on so can't check).
Stiill haven't been able to work out if this genetic condition has a name yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnie1978 For This Useful Post:
MsBlue (11-09-2012)
Closed Thread