It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

nerdo HB User
Nail fungus on thumbnail

I have a nasty case of nail fungus on my right thumbnail. I took Lamisil for at least three months--no results. Now I've taken two "pulse packs" of Sporanox. Sporanox might be working. I can see pink nail at the base, but it's still ridged. Oh, and to complicate things, I have suffered from warts at the nails for years as well as plantars warts. And I kinda still bite my fingernails, but not like I used to.

Even if the Sporanox is working, I would rather not take it. My husband and I want to start trying to get pregnant in June, but the warnings regarding pregnancy and Sporanox are very scary (wait two months after taking it before you start trying).

I just bought Reclaim AF today. Is it safe to use in conjunction with Sporanox? Can I use the new stuff and tea tree oil as well? I'd like to give both a try. Also, should I be filing down my nail before applying these treatments.

My nail is so ugly and embarrassing. And it really hurts. I'd love anyone's opinions and natural home remedies. At this point, I will try anything.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Nail fungus on thumbnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian
I have a nasty case of nail fungus on my right thumbnail. I took Lamisil for at least three months--no results. Now I've taken two "pulse packs" of Sporanox. Sporanox might be working. I can see pink nail at the base, but it's still ridged. Oh, and to complicate things, I have suffered from warts at the nails for years as well as plantars warts. And I kinda still bite my fingernails, but not like I used to.

Even if the Sporanox is working, I would rather not take it. My husband and I want to start trying to get pregnant in June, but the warnings regarding pregnancy and Sporanox are very scary (wait two months after taking it before you start trying).

I just bought Reclaim AF today. Is it safe to use in conjunction with Sporanox? Can I use the new stuff and tea tree oil as well? I'd like to give both a try. Also, should I be filing down my nail before applying these treatments.

My nail is so ugly and embarrassing. And it really hurts. I'd love anyone's opinions and natural home remedies. At this point, I will try anything.
Take the Sporonox until the infection is completely gone. Lamasil doesn't work for everyone. When the infection is gone and the nail is a healthy pink, THEN go ahead and try to get pregnant. If the infection is not completely cured and you get off the medication, it will only come back with a vengeance. You can try the over-the-counter stuff, but the oral meds work the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
(female)

bigdogmom48 HB User

You might want to try Tea Tree Oil on & around the nail. It has to be PHARMACEUTICAL Grade Tea Tree Oil, and you have to be VERY consistant about putting it on EVERY day for several months or longer. The good thing about it is that there are no side effects and it may also help with the soreness.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-23-2005 at 04:24 PM. Reason: removed censored word

Old 02-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
(female)

nerdo HB User

Where can I find pharmaceutical strength tea tree oil?

To update you on my progress: I'll begin taking another pulse pack of Sporanox in two weeks. This will be my fourth month on it. I'm still applying the Reclaim AF twice a day.

One day my finger hurt so badly where the nail had separated from the left side, I decided to purchase liquid bandage to keep it from separating anymore. That seemed to allow it to heal better.

I have also filed my nail so that the ridges are not as noticable. I work in retail, and everytime I hand someone their change, my ugly thumb is right there.

On the bright side, my test results show no liver damage from the Sporanox. I see some pink nail growing out from the base, but I'm still not convinced it's "healthy" nail.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian
Where can I find pharmaceutical strength tea tree oil?

To update you on my progress: I'll begin taking another pulse pack of Sporanox in two weeks. This will be my fourth month on it. I'm still applying the Reclaim AF twice a day.

One day my finger hurt so badly where the nail had separated from the left side, I decided to purchase liquid bandage to keep it from separating anymore. That seemed to allow it to heal better.

I have also filed my nail so that the ridges are not as noticable. I work in retail, and everytime I hand someone their change, my ugly thumb is right there.

On the bright side, my test results show no liver damage from the Sporanox. I see some pink nail growing out from the base, but I'm still not convinced it's "healthy" nail.
If the nail is continuing to grow forward on the nail bed and is a healthy pink color, it is fine.

Closed Thread