Originally Posted by GayleG
My precious daughter-in-law just accidentally hurt herself when her toenail ripped off (big toe). How should she care for it until it grows back?
Did she rip the entire nail out at the root? If she only tore it loose from the nail bed, she needs to keep it clean and dry at ALL times. Soak the nail in peroxide to kill any bacteria that may be present (this will not feel good), and then keep it well lubricated with antibacterial ointment. She will probably want to wrap it with gauze to protect it until the pain goes away, and even after to keep her shoes from causing further injury. In all honesty, I would suggest she not wear a shoe on that foot if she can keep from it. the pressure from walking in a shoe will be painful for several weeks at least.
Tell her to keep an eye on it to see if it begins to turn colors - color as in bright green. A green discoloration signifies a pseudomonas bacterial infection and she will need to see her doctor if this happens.