It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

jodiebrown HB User
Dented nail close to nail bed

Just in the past year one of my fingernails occasionally is dented in, kind of bumpy horizontally across the nail where the nail begins. It happened once this summer, then grew out and then just lately I noticed that fingernail didn't appear to have a cuticle and then a week later the bumpiness or ridges appeared. Could this be psoriasis? I'm 24, isn't that an odd time for it to appear out of nowhere? I did have fake tips put on my nails for the first time ever last year, they were only on for a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance,
Jodie.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
(female)

momof4boys HB User
Re: Dented nail close to nail bed

I was looking on here for information on the same thing. My nails have ridges and indents too. I found a site with info that said it could be due to an iron deficiency. The term they used was Koilonychia.
I'm hoping someone will reply and help us both!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

jodiebrown HB User

I'm glad to hear I'm not just a freak and someone else has the nail issue i have. haha.
It's seeming to get worse, now half (bottom half) of my nail is all crinkly looking and dented. I wonder if it is due to a lack of zinc or something? I just stopped eating meat a year ago maybe it has something to do with that? I've searched on the internet and can't really find anything that looks like my nail. I might go to the doctors soon if it doesn't stop, it feels like my nail is really weak and soft where the wrinkly dents are.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiebrown
Just in the past year one of my fingernails occasionally is dented in, kind of bumpy horizontally across the nail where the nail begins. It happened once this summer, then grew out and then just lately I noticed that fingernail didn't appear to have a cuticle and then a week later the bumpiness or ridges appeared. Could this be psoriasis? I'm 24, isn't that an odd time for it to appear out of nowhere? I did have fake tips put on my nails for the first time ever last year, they were only on for a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance,
Jodie.
It could be iron deficiency, it could be that the fingernail was damaged in some manner; however slight. Any trauma to the nail where it emerges from the skin can cause a dent to appear in the nail plate. Horizontal lines are generally classic for Beau's lines - do a web search for that term. Psoriasis of the nails does not appear as horizontal ridges, but as pitted, bumpy nails that will become dry and brittle.

Closed Thread