It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 02:06 AM   #1
(male)

Roho HB User
permanently damaged nail

Hello!

I wonder, whether any of you could give me advice on may nail problem? Here is the description of the problem I have:

About three years ago one of my finger nails was severely infected by a specific fungus. Within half a year it spread all over the skin of my finger and was actually quite painful. I went to see a doctor early enough, but got a wrong diagnose at the first time, as she thought that I had developed local allergy to plastic! When the situation got worse I went to see another dermatologist and after she took probes I was told that I had been infected by a fungus, which usually comes from the contact with animals. So I quess I had injured my finger near the nail and contacted with an infected animal (may be a horse, or rat?). Nevertheless, the infection did not spread to my other nails.

After I received specific treatment, including both pills and tinctures/cremes I got rid of the infection, but my nail remained damaged. Firstly, the lighter "half moon shaped" area where the nail grows out is 3 times larger than normal. After that there is a normal nail area, with pink colour, but it is only 2-3 mm wide. From there on to the tip of my finger, the nail is separated from the bed and seems not to be alive. I have tried to cut my nail back to the region, where it is still attached to the bed, but this does not seem to help. The finger bed itself is dry and thickened. To be sure that I have no infection I have treated the area with anti fungus medicaments, but it does not change the condition of my nail. I also heard from somewhere that jojoba oil makes fingernails stronger, but in my case it did not help, as I applied it to my nail daily for three weeks, without any success... My family doctor thinks that the nail bed is permanently damaged and nothing helps.

I would be glad to hear any suggestions. The nail does not cause me pain or affect my everyday life, but I am a bit bothered, when I see someone watching it. Is there any hope left or should I end thinking of it?

Last edited by Roho; 04-25-2005 at 02:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: permanently damaged nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roho
Hello!

I wonder, whether any of you could give me advice on may nail problem? Here is the description of the problem I have:

About three years ago one of my finger nails was severely infected by a specific fungus. Within half a year it spread all over the skin of my finger and was actually quite painful. I went to see a doctor early enough, but got a wrong diagnose at the first time, as she thought that I had developed local allergy to plastic! When the situation got worse I went to see another dermatologist and after she took probes I was told that I had been infected by a fungus, which usually comes from the contact with animals. So I quess I had injured my finger near the nail and contacted with an infected animal (may be a horse, or rat?). Nevertheless, the infection did not spread to my other nails.

After I received specific treatment, including both pills and tinctures/cremes I got rid of the infection, but my nail remained damaged. Firstly, the lighter "half moon shaped" area where the nail grows out is 3 times larger than normal. After that there is a normal nail area, with pink colour, but it is only 2-3 mm wide. From there on to the tip of my finger, the nail is separated from the bed and seems not to be alive. I have tried to cut my nail back to the region, where it is still attached to the bed, but this does not seem to help. The finger bed itself is dry and thickened. To be sure that I have no infection I have treated the area with anti fungus medicaments, but it does not change the condition of my nail. I also heard from somewhere that jojoba oil makes fingernails stronger, but in my case it did not help, as I applied it to my nail daily for three weeks, without any success... My family doctor thinks that the nail bed is permanently damaged and nothing helps.

I would be glad to hear any suggestions. The nail does not cause me pain or affect my everyday life, but I am a bit bothered, when I see someone watching it. Is there any hope left or should I end thinking of it?
If the nail bed itself is thickened and hardened, it means that it has turned itself into 'real' skin. This means that the nail plate cannot grow forward atttached to the nail bed in this region. Since the infection was from the 'animal' variety and not the 'plant' variety, I have to agree with your physician that the damage is permanent.

Applying a mixture of 4oz jojojba oil and 1/2 oz Vitamin E will help the nail plate and may soften the underlying tissue, but 3 weeks is just not long enough. I have been using this mixture on my skin and nails twice daily for the past 15-20 years. Not that my nails are damaged, but it does help keep the skin and nails conditioned and strong. It may help the damaged tissue, but you will have to use it on a consistent basis.

Closed Thread