It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

seastar5 HB User
Black Longitudinal Line on Fingernail

Hi,

I was trying to research about one of my fingernails on the internet that had developed this black strip along it (running longitudinally from bottom to tip), and I found another thread from this website that seemed like someone might have had this before. One thread provided a link to pictures, and my nail looks like one of the pictures. I do not know whether it is longitudinal melanonychia, but I like to pick my nails, and I know that there was this one point where I cut my nails too short and it was hurting for a bit (in which a few weeks later I noticed the black stripe around the place where I hurt myself). Is it pure coincidence? I was hoping it would disappear, but it hasn't. I have had for a couple of months now. It is only on one fingernail, and there is no pain (it is only the appearance that bothers me). Can someone please provide some guidance? I am scheduled for a biopsy in June, but the doctor said that the biopsy could make my nail grow funny and that if the cells are benign, the black stripe will not ever go away. Can someone please confirm this and explain what the doctor meant when she said that my nail might grow funny?

Thanks,
seastar5

Old 05-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Black Longitudinal Line on Fingernail

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar5
Hi,

I was trying to research about one of my fingernails on the internet that had developed this black strip along it (running longitudinally from bottom to tip), and I found another thread from this website that seemed like someone might have had this before. One thread provided a link to pictures, and my nail looks like one of the pictures. I do not know whether it is longitudinal melanonychia, but I like to pick my nails, and I know that there was this one point where I cut my nails too short and it was hurting for a bit (in which a few weeks later I noticed the black stripe around the place where I hurt myself). Is it pure coincidence? I was hoping it would disappear, but it hasn't. I have had for a couple of months now. It is only on one fingernail, and there is no pain (it is only the appearance that bothers me). Can someone please provide some guidance? I am scheduled for a biopsy in June, but the doctor said that the biopsy could make my nail grow funny and that if the cells are benign, the black stripe will not ever go away. Can someone please confirm this and explain what the doctor meant when she said that my nail might grow funny?

Thanks,
seastar5
If it were a splinter hemorage, then it would be growing forward with the nail plate and the line would not continue to grow from under the cuticle. If the line is wider than a splinter and there is no break in the line from the cuticle to the free edge, then I would also suspect melanonychia. To do a biopsy, they will cut your cuticle open to examine the matrix by doing a verticl incision from the cuticle almost to the first knuckle. Cutting into this portion of the nail unit will cause permanent damage to the matrix and the nail plate will grow in 'funny'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
(female)

seastar5 HB User

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply! Is the procedure for the biopsy painful? Also, I'm taking it that since it will result in permanent damage to my nail matrix that my nail will grow out funny forever? The black line is a continuous line, no breaks, and has been growing out like this for several months now.

Thanks,
seastar5

Old 05-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

I do not know how painful the surgery is since I have never had it done; I have only seen photographs of the surgery. Yes, the nail will always grow "funny". Since the line is continuous, I would figure it to be a nail wart which is what they are commonly called.

Closed Thread