It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

Renee16 HB User
Thin, Splitting Nails need Help

I have very thin nails that constantly split and break at the corners. Does anyone know of a product or natural remedy that helps to strenghten nails?
Also a friend of mine says that artifical nails are better today than they were years ago when I had them. I thought that artifical nails still will cause problems under the nail bed when they are removed. I would just like to have nails that looked decent and not real long because I do alot of typing at work and weren't always in the quick.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Thin, Splitting Nails need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee16
I have very thin nails that constantly split and break at the corners. Does anyone know of a product or natural remedy that helps to strenghten nails?
Also a friend of mine says that artifical nails are better today than they were years ago when I had them. I thought that artifical nails still will cause problems under the nail bed when they are removed. I would just like to have nails that looked decent and not real long because I do alot of typing at work and weren't always in the quick.
What shape do you give your nails when you file the free edge? Pointed, Oval or Square? The more pointed you file the nails, the more you remove the sidewall at the smile line (where the pink ends and the free edge begins.) If you file the sides, you remove all the nails strength and they will break easily at the corners. Also, when typing with oval or pointed nails, all the stress goes down the vertical center and spreads out to the sides. With a more square shape, this will not happen as the nail will absorb the pressure.

Yes, artificial nail products have changed dramatically since the 70's when they were first introduced and more so in the past few years. the only problem is that the techniques the nail technicians use have not changed. They still use mechanical force to remove areas of lift or separation which will also tear up good tight product and your natural nail plate layers as well. This results in overly thinned out natural nails and a weak foundation for the overlay. the use of high-speed drills can wear out the natural nail as well as cause a friction burn to the nail bed if improperly used.

Go to my website and there are instructions on how to perform you own manicure complete with photographs. www.hooked-on-nails.com (link approved by Moderator 1)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #3
(female)

Renee16 HB User

I file the free edge oval as have a hard time filing square. I went to your website and am going to print out some of the information. That is a great website. Do you know of any products and/or natural remedies that I can put on my nails to help them get stronger and grow?

Old 06-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee16
I file the free edge oval as have a hard time filing square. I went to your website and am going to print out some of the information. That is a great website. Do you know of any products and/or natural remedies that I can put on my nails to help them get stronger and grow?
Your nails will only be as strong as your parents nails are as this is a genetic quality. Use the Botanical Oil several times a day ad especially after having your hands in water for extended periods and right before bed. The oil will penetrate the nail plate layers, rehydrate, moisturize, and condition them. This will help to keep them tough which is the perfect combination of strength and flexibility.

Closed Thread