It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

carolinagirl1 HB User
Help!! Will fingernails grow back??

I'm posting this for a friend... She had sort of long acrylic nails on when she fell. To break her fall, she used her hands. well, while doing that it popped off 3 of her acrylic nails along with the entire real nail. It happened about a week and a half ago and now her nails are healed and it just looks like regular skin. Will her nails grow back?

Old 06-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User
Re: Help!! Will fingernails grow back??

I would think so. When I was younger I slammed my thumb in a door, and the entire nail fell off. It did grow back. Maybe ask a doctor or a nurse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl1
I'm posting this for a friend... She had sort of long acrylic nails on when she fell. To break her fall, she used her hands. well, while doing that it popped off 3 of her acrylic nails along with the entire real nail. It happened about a week and a half ago and now her nails are healed and it just looks like regular skin. Will her nails grow back?
If the acrylic was bonded so tightly to the nail plate that it ripped off her natural nail, she may have a good lawsuit against the salon. When the product bonds that tightly to the natural nail, chances are very stron that the salon is using an acrylic product made with MMA (Methyl-methacrylate) which has been banned for use in the nail industry by most all of the 50 states. She should file a complaint with her state board of cosmetology against the salon and find herself a good lawyer.

MMA liquid was deemed as deleterious to the nail plate by the FDA in the early 70's. The FDA turned regulation of the material over to the State Boards and through the years, all of them have banned its use in salons.

To find out more about MMA, simply type those letters into your web browser. I think you will find some very interesting reading.

Yes, her nails will grow back, but it can take from 3-6 months depending on her genetics. She should not let the nail bed dry out and turn into hardened skin as it will be much harder for the nails to grow over the hardened skin. Tell her to go to a Sally Beauty Supply and get a bottle of Botanical Oil from the nail department. Apply it several times during the day and always at night and massage into the cuticles and the exposed skin. the oil will re-hydrate the skin, condition, moisturize and help it to heal properly.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #4
(female)

carolinagirl1 HB User

Thanks Marti!!

Old 07-09-2005, 10:50 PM   #5
(male)

the_coder HB User

The key is where you lost it at. If you lose the fingernail at the root then it's not coming back.

I lost my index finger nail in a car door accident neary 20 years ago and they told me in th ER that it wouldn't come back and they were right.

Closed Thread