It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #1

Lollapalisa HB User
Splitting, weak nails because of latex gloves

I work in a medical setting where I have to wear latex gloves everyday for hours at a time. As a result, my nails are very weak and constantly thin and splitting. I have difficulty growing my nails out because they look so awful. I have tried those hardening nail polishes, but they don't help. Eating a lot of jello helps a little bit because of the gelatin, but it doesn't help enough. Does anyone know of a solution or have any ideas to something I can try?

Old 06-27-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Splitting, weak nails because of latex gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollapalisa
I work in a medical setting where I have to wear latex gloves everyday for hours at a time. As a result, my nails are very weak and constantly thin and splitting. I have difficulty growing my nails out because they look so awful. I have tried those hardening nail polishes, but they don't help. Eating a lot of jello helps a little bit because of the gelatin, but it doesn't help enough. Does anyone know of a solution or have any ideas to something I can try?
Actually, it is a Myth that gelatin of any sort will help your nails, and the nail hardeners can actually make the nails split and peel much easier/faster due to the amounts of formaldehyde they contain.

The reason your nails are in the shape they are is not necessarily due to the latex gloves, but due to the fact that wearing them for extended periods does not allow the natural oil and moisture in the nails to evaporate normally. Since the nails are "covered" almost constantly, the nail plate believes it doesn't have to produce the same amount of nail plate cells as normal, so the end result is thinner nails and nails that are prone to splitting and peeling when they are allowed to dry out.

The only suggestion I have for you is to take the gloves off as often as possible - even just a few minutes every half-hour or so will help. Dry your hands and nails real well and leave the gloves off for no less than 3 minutes. This will allow the moisture to evaporate and for the inner-connecting bands that hold the nail plae cells together to return to a more normal length.

At night, apply Botanical Oil to each nail and massage into the skin and the nail plate. Botanical Oil contains the essential oils necessary to condition and heal the nail cells and the surrounding skin.

Botanical Oil is available in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

Ladybug46 HB User
Re: Splitting, weak nails because of latex gloves

I have been using products by the name of ProStrong offered on a shopping channel (Q) for years now. I swear by it! Long, strong nails, you can see results in the 1st week, just keeps getting better. I have wasted so much money on products in the past for my weak nails and this is the absolute best. I use the nail moisturizer, nail builder and Top Coat. My nails get so long that I have to trim them often. My nails were in desperate shape, from wearing acrylics, paper thin and painful before finding the Pro Strong.

Closed Thread