It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
pinkytoenail HB User
my pinky toenail

Hi I have this problem with both of my pinky toes.

on BOTH pinky toes, on the outside of the toenail, there is a small chunk of growth.. its very hard to explain. it is right next to the toenail and kind of feels like it is my toenail, but it is a little softer. When i clip it, it grows back.
It is very sensative, and a pain, though. I've had these annoyances for several years.

Here are a couple pictures of the right pinky toenail. The left one is jst the same. Someone please help me figure out what is going on? thanks

[url]http://image26.webshots.com/26/9/26/21/385292621KxnKfl_ph.jpg[/url]
[url]http://image50.webshots.com/50/9/25/80/385292580vTZZEG_ph.jpg[/url]

 
Old 07-05-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Rosenberg, TX.
Posts: 2,605
Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: my pinky toenail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkytoenail
Hi I have this problem with both of my pinky toes.

on BOTH pinky toes, on the outside of the toenail, there is a small chunk of growth.. its very hard to explain. it is right next to the toenail and kind of feels like it is my toenail, but it is a little softer. When i clip it, it grows back.
It is very sensative, and a pain, though. I've had these annoyances for several years.

Here are a couple pictures of the right pinky toenail. The left one is jst the same. Someone please help me figure out what is going on? thanks

[url]http://image26.webshots.com/26/9/26/21/385292621KxnKfl_ph.jpg[/url]
[url]http://image50.webshots.com/50/9/25/80/385292580vTZZEG_ph.jpg[/url]
It looks like Pterygium to me. You can reove it by clipping it off, but it will only continue to return. Pterygium is a forward growth of the cuticular skin which will grow forward on top of the nail plate. It softens the underlying nail plate and basically destroys it - the pterygium will become part with the nail bed after it destroys the nail plate. I know, I have it on both my pinky toenails as well.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,413
cookiepls HB User
Re: my pinky toenail

Hey, my toenail looks just like that too. It is quite painful sometimes. When it first appeared I thought I was losing part of my toenail. I finally clipped it off and my toenail looked fine for at least a year. Now it's coming back. Does anyone know what causes it in the first place? Fungus? Infection? What?

Last edited by cookiepls; 07-06-2005 at 10:23 PM.

 
Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Rosenberg, TX.
Posts: 2,605
Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: my pinky toenail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepls
Hey, my toenail looks just like that too. It is quite painful sometimes. When it first appeared I thought I was losing part of my toenail. I finally clipped it off and my toenail looked fine for at least a year. Now it's coming back. Does anyone know what causes it in the first place? Fungus? Infection? What?
Trauma causes it, and it is usually some sort of trauma to the sidewall area of the nail. Could be from too much pressure on that toenail from ill-fitting shoes, etc. Mine was caused by removal of some small corns on the sides of the pinky toes. The surgeon went down through the side of the nail plate to grind off the corn, and the result was an overgrowth of the cuticle, resulting in pterygium.

 
Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
pinkytoenail HB User
Re: my pinky toenail

Thank you for this extremely detailed information.
I was afraid nobody would inderstand my description..

trauma, ill-fitting shoes.. hmm well I wore my shoes REEALLY tight for years when i was young. hmm.

now that i know it's name, i am going to research it more to find out how to get rid of it (if you can).

however, I looked up Pterygium on google and it seems that every result has something to do with an EYE problem, not a nail problem....


thanks again.

Last edited by pinkytoenail; 07-07-2005 at 11:54 AM. Reason: adding something

 
Old 07-08-2005, 06:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Rosenberg, TX.
Posts: 2,605
Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: my pinky toenail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkytoenail
Thank you for this extremely detailed information.
I was afraid nobody would inderstand my description..

trauma, ill-fitting shoes.. hmm well I wore my shoes REEALLY tight for years when i was young. hmm.

now that i know it's name, i am going to research it more to find out how to get rid of it (if you can).

however, I looked up Pterygium on google and it seems that every result has something to do with an EYE problem, not a nail problem....


thanks again.
Yes, it can grow on your eyeballs as well - go figure Try searching for fingernail pterygium or nail pterygium instead.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
split pinky toe nail down the middle Luna9 Nail Problems 0 09-18-2009 09:47 AM
Toenail disfigured in foosball table accident! CJJ12 Nail Problems 1 08-26-2008 05:18 AM
Disfigured Toenail CJJ12 Foot & Ankle Problems 0 08-24-2008 01:30 AM
I might have the answer for toenail fungus, but don't get excited yet... thebluedog Nail Problems 30 08-02-2006 08:06 PM
Dark Brown Discoloration on Pinky Toenail on Right Foot sizle Nail Problems 2 07-29-2005 10:25 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Marti (19), flamesabers (8), gmak (3), janewhite1 (3), Stacia (2), bubbles44 (2), clennys (2), KE274 (2), Jkool (2), girlgato (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1007), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (851), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!