It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
(male)

pinkytoenail HB User
my pinky toenail

Hi I have this problem with both of my pinky toes.

on BOTH pinky toes, on the outside of the toenail, there is a small chunk of growth.. its very hard to explain. it is right next to the toenail and kind of feels like it is my toenail, but it is a little softer. When i clip it, it grows back.
It is very sensative, and a pain, though. I've had these annoyances for several years.

Here are a couple pictures of the right pinky toenail. The left one is jst the same. Someone please help me figure out what is going on? thanks

[url]http://image26.webshots.com/26/9/26/21/385292621KxnKfl_ph.jpg[/url]
[url]http://image50.webshots.com/50/9/25/80/385292580vTZZEG_ph.jpg[/url]

Old 07-05-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: my pinky toenail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkytoenail
Hi I have this problem with both of my pinky toes.

on BOTH pinky toes, on the outside of the toenail, there is a small chunk of growth.. its very hard to explain. it is right next to the toenail and kind of feels like it is my toenail, but it is a little softer. When i clip it, it grows back.
It is very sensative, and a pain, though. I've had these annoyances for several years.

Here are a couple pictures of the right pinky toenail. The left one is jst the same. Someone please help me figure out what is going on? thanks

[url]http://image26.webshots.com/26/9/26/21/385292621KxnKfl_ph.jpg[/url]
[url]http://image50.webshots.com/50/9/25/80/385292580vTZZEG_ph.jpg[/url]
It looks like Pterygium to me. You can reove it by clipping it off, but it will only continue to return. Pterygium is a forward growth of the cuticular skin which will grow forward on top of the nail plate. It softens the underlying nail plate and basically destroys it - the pterygium will become part with the nail bed after it destroys the nail plate. I know, I have it on both my pinky toenails as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Hey, my toenail looks just like that too. It is quite painful sometimes. When it first appeared I thought I was losing part of my toenail. I finally clipped it off and my toenail looked fine for at least a year. Now it's coming back. Does anyone know what causes it in the first place? Fungus? Infection? What?

Last edited by cookiepls; 07-06-2005 at 10:23 PM.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepls
Hey, my toenail looks just like that too. It is quite painful sometimes. When it first appeared I thought I was losing part of my toenail. I finally clipped it off and my toenail looked fine for at least a year. Now it's coming back. Does anyone know what causes it in the first place? Fungus? Infection? What?
Trauma causes it, and it is usually some sort of trauma to the sidewall area of the nail. Could be from too much pressure on that toenail from ill-fitting shoes, etc. Mine was caused by removal of some small corns on the sides of the pinky toes. The surgeon went down through the side of the nail plate to grind off the corn, and the result was an overgrowth of the cuticle, resulting in pterygium.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
(male)

pinkytoenail HB User

Thank you for this extremely detailed information.
I was afraid nobody would inderstand my description..

trauma, ill-fitting shoes.. hmm well I wore my shoes REEALLY tight for years when i was young. hmm.

now that i know it's name, i am going to research it more to find out how to get rid of it (if you can).

however, I looked up Pterygium on google and it seems that every result has something to do with an EYE problem, not a nail problem....

thanks again.

Last edited by pinkytoenail; 07-07-2005 at 11:54 AM. Reason: adding something

Old 07-08-2005, 06:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkytoenail
Thank you for this extremely detailed information.
I was afraid nobody would inderstand my description..

trauma, ill-fitting shoes.. hmm well I wore my shoes REEALLY tight for years when i was young. hmm.

now that i know it's name, i am going to research it more to find out how to get rid of it (if you can).

however, I looked up Pterygium on google and it seems that every result has something to do with an EYE problem, not a nail problem....

thanks again.
Yes, it can grow on your eyeballs as well - go figure Try searching for fingernail pterygium or nail pterygium instead.

Closed Thread