It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
(female)

Vavip HB User
thick skin under finger nails

I had acrylic on my nails for years with no problems but recently I have developed thick skin under the nails. The tech said this wasn't a fungus and we just kept the skin from growing out under the tips of the nail. She said I should just keep brushing softly under the nails daily. Well, I tried to carefully cut away the skin under the two middle fingers and the tips separated from the nail bed. I am keeping them clean but now I worry about those creatures getting under there. I had to have the nails cut down very short since the tips were weak after years of acrylic. Has anyone else had this thick skin problem?

Old 07-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: thick skin under finger nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vavip
I had acrylic on my nails for years with no problems but recently I have developed thick skin under the nails. The tech said this wasn't a fungus and we just kept the skin from growing out under the tips of the nail. She said I should just keep brushing softly under the nails daily. Well, I tried to carefully cut away the skin under the two middle fingers and the tips separated from the nail bed. I am keeping them clean but now I worry about those creatures getting under there. I had to have the nails cut down very short since the tips were weak after years of acrylic. Has anyone else had this thick skin problem?
I think I alread answered this under a different post, but I will add something here. Thick skin that grows forward with the nail plate in an almost 'pointed' shape is called Pterygium inversum inguis and is sometimes the result of an acute allergic reaction to acrylic or to acrylic based products, which includes all types of nail glue (and instant household glues), wrap resins, liquid & Powder acrylics and gel acrylic. ALL artificial nail products contain some form of acrylate (acrylic) and once we are allergic, we are allergic for life. Acute or severe allergic reaction will cause the nail plate to separate from the nail bed. If the technician used a high-speed drill when doing your nails and you felt a heat sensation from the friction, you could also have experienced burns to the nail bed which would also appear as thickened skin adn could also allow the nail plate to separate from the nail bed. I think you should see our physician or your dermatologist for a proper diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread