It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

lipstickfem HB User
Red face cut through part of nail - Please help!

Ok. So I love to cook and must not have been paying attention, but I really need someones help to ease my mind here.

I cut through only the middle part of my fingernail, not all the way across, and into the skin underneath. It is NOT deep, and stopped bleeding within a minute or so, but I am still worried.

It was a brand new knife, I washed the finger and applied a bandaid.

Should I have to seek medical help right now?

I have really bad medical insurance and it will cost a fortune, but nothing compaired to my finger or life, and I just need some help.

I hurts only when I move the top of my finger since the nail is cut.

If I do not need immediate medical help, is there anything else I should be doing to help this heal?

Please help anyone...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: cut through part of nail - Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstickfem
Ok. So I love to cook and must not have been paying attention, but I really need someones help to ease my mind here.

I cut through only the middle part of my fingernail, not all the way across, and into the skin underneath. It is NOT deep, and stopped bleeding within a minute or so, but I am still worried.

It was a brand new knife, I washed the finger and applied a bandaid.

Should I have to seek medical help right now?

I have really bad medical insurance and it will cost a fortune, but nothing compaired to my finger or life, and I just need some help.

I hurts only when I move the top of my finger since the nail is cut.

If I do not need immediate medical help, is there anything else I should be doing to help this heal?

Please help anyone...
After the fact information:

Cut the nail as short as you comfortably can. Soak the nail in peroxide to be sure there is no apparent bacteria in the cut. Do not wash off the peroxide, but wipe all the peroxide from your skin with a wet paper towel and dry with another paper towel. Apply anti-bacterial ointment to the cut and cover with a 'breathable' bandaid.

Do not wear the bandaid while you sleep as this will allow for excess moisture to build up in the nail plate and bacteria and fungal spores LOVE all this extra moisture. Before applying the ointment and bandaid in the mornings, clean and wipe the nail plate with either peroxide or alcohol. Any cut, tear or break to the seal surrounding the nail unit or to the nail plate itself can allow for bacteria or fungal spores to enter the site, set up housekeeping and turn into a full-blown infection.

You can also clean the cut with peroxide, wash your hands, apply alcohol to the cut to temporarily remove the natural moisute and apply a swipe of nail glue over it to seal it. You can always remove the glue by wetting a cotton ball with straight acetone and laying it on the 'glue' and covering the finger tip and nail with tin foil for 10 minutes. This will dissolve the glue and allow you to 'wipe' it from the nail surface using the cotton ball/pad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread