It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

Quinnstr74 HB User
1/2 Dark and 1/2 light line down the middle of my thumb

I need some advise...I have read many postings about black/brown lines down the middle of the nail, but my situation is a little different. I have had this dark thin line down the middle of my thumb for over a year now. Sometimes the dark line is from the cuticle to the tip and sometimes it only covers half the nail. When only half the nail is dark there is still a line on the other half but it's kind of pink. Right now the dark part is on the last 3/4 of the nail and the pink line goes all the way to the cuticle. It almost looks as if the pink line is cutting the white moon part (I don't know the official name for this) in half. My nail also splits whenever I try to grow it out. Can anyone help with this? I've had one doctor tell me that it can be an aggressive type of cancer and I've had another tell me its fungus. I don't know how concerned I should be?!

Old 08-16-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: 1/2 Dark and 1/2 light line down the middle of my thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnstr74
I need some advise...I have read many postings about black/brown lines down the middle of the nail, but my situation is a little different. I have had this dark thin line down the middle of my thumb for over a year now. Sometimes the dark line is from the cuticle to the tip and sometimes it only covers half the nail. When only half the nail is dark there is still a line on the other half but it's kind of pink. Right now the dark part is on the last 3/4 of the nail and the pink line goes all the way to the cuticle. It almost looks as if the pink line is cutting the white moon part (I don't know the official name for this) in half. My nail also splits whenever I try to grow it out. Can anyone help with this? I've had one doctor tell me that it can be an aggressive type of cancer and I've had another tell me its fungus. I don't know how concerned I should be?!
It sounds more like a nail 'mole' to me which grows in the matrix (the half-moon part). Nail moles can be cancerous, so you should see your physician for a diagnosis. If they do find a melanoma, they will have to cut it out and your nail will forever grow in damaged if it grows in at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

Quinnstr74 HB User

Does a nail mole go away and then com back again? Sometimes I wont have a dark line at all. It will just be a light pink line. Then a few weeks later it will start growing dark again.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

As long as the line remains in the exact same place, the 'mole' is still there whether the color changes or not.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
(female)

LoreleiG HB User

You sound like me.

I've been frustrated with this for over 6 months now, and it's driving me crazy....I posted a blurt about it a few weeks ago.

My line sounds similiar to yours. It's never very dark (purplish-bronzy), it's barely 1 mm wide, but it looks like it doesn't go all the way down, most of the time. With a light source behind my thumb, it clearly doesn't go all the way down to the cuticle.

My doctor has looked at it twice, and he's unconcerned by it, but when you research it, the first line is always that such lines should be biopsied (even though the vast majority of biopsies show a benign result) , so right now, I'm trying to decide if I should go and get a second opinion or not. My doctor assures me that he believes it is a stable thing, and he's not concerned at all, both by the color and the presentation.

I've called around for recommendations for second opinion, and my doctor's name keeps coming up at the top of the list for a second opinion.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

Closed Thread