It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
(female)

April S HB User
Question Help, I have ruined my nails!

I was a nail biter my whole life and finally put on acrylics. I did just fine with that but the nail shop I was going to went out of business and I thought I would get "smart" and start using "glue on" nails. Each week, they would start to look shabby so I would take them off and re-apply a new set. Needless to say, my natural nails look AWFUL now!!!! Plus, I have noticed that on one hand, three nails have gotten a green fungus on top and they are starting to separate from the nail bed. I am afraid my nails will never grow over that separation...my pinky nail is so small now, my ring finger is 1/2 way down and my middle finger has just started separating. What can I do? I'm afraid to go "natural" because I am afraid of starting the biting habit again....should I go back to acrylics? Have a manicurist nurse my nails back to health? I'm a professional and having icky nails is NOT a good thing....I keep wanting to go throw on the glue on nails just to cover it up but I know I'm only making the problem worse.

What to do????

Thanks for any advice.

April

Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

hobogirl HB User
Re: Help, I have ruined my nails!

I would go to another nail salon and ask their opinion. It might be that you will have to let your natural nails grow out some before putting on more nails. I would go to the gel nails when you can. That is what I wear, they are suppose to be better for your nails and they look more natural too. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by April S
I was a nail biter my whole life and finally put on acrylics. I did just fine with that but the nail shop I was going to went out of business and I thought I would get "smart" and start using "glue on" nails. Each week, they would start to look shabby so I would take them off and re-apply a new set. Needless to say, my natural nails look AWFUL now!!!! Plus, I have noticed that on one hand, three nails have gotten a green fungus on top and they are starting to separate from the nail bed. I am afraid my nails will never grow over that separation...my pinky nail is so small now, my ring finger is 1/2 way down and my middle finger has just started separating. What can I do? I'm afraid to go "natural" because I am afraid of starting the biting habit again....should I go back to acrylics? Have a manicurist nurse my nails back to health? I'm a professional and having icky nails is NOT a good thing....I keep wanting to go throw on the glue on nails just to cover it up but I know I'm only making the problem worse.

What to do????

Thanks for any advice.

April
the green discoloration on your nails is the result of a Pseudomonas Bacterial infection. You gave this to your self when yu repeatedly removed and glued on new 'nails' without properly prepping the nail surface. The bacteria got trapped between the new tip and the natural nail, set up housekeeping and turned into a full-blown infection. You will need to be sure the infection is 'dead' before you do anything. You cn 'kill' it by simmply wiping the nails with alcohol a couple of times a day and always after having your hands in water. The alcohol will remove the moisture that the bacteria needs to grow. It shouldn't take but a few days to kill the infection, but the stain (which is composed mainly of iron compounds) will remain and will have to grow out with the nail plate.

After you are sure the infection is not growing, you should go see a GOOD manicurist or nail technician that will take care of your natural nails. They can always treat them for a few weeks adn then apply a THIN layer of gel on top to protect them until they grow out.

For more information on your natural nails, please visit my website www.hooked-on-nails.com (link approved by Moderator 1)

Old 11-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
(female)

BrendaStar HB User

Go to qvc and put in nail conditioners. They have one that I have used for three months and my nails are wonderful, have never been so good. This nail conditioner great. Sorry I can't mention the name of the product, trust me you will love it. Hope this gets through!!!

Closed Thread