It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

mariazzzz HB User
toenail split in two and verticle ridges on fingernails

Hi, My pinky toe nail has been completely split in two for some months now. It seems to be growning this way. My primary doctor couldn't help, just said to keep it short so it doesn't snag on anything. Is there a medical reason this has happened? Would a podiatrist be able to help. I don't like this, I'm afraid it is going to tear off......Also 3 of my fingernails have vertical ridges and I am getting nervous that these will turn into splits too. Any advice appreciated......Thanks, M

Old 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: toenail split in two and verticle ridges on fingernails

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariazzzz
Hi, My pinky toe nail has been completely split in two for some months now. It seems to be growning this way. My primary doctor couldn't help, just said to keep it short so it doesn't snag on anything. Is there a medical reason this has happened? Would a podiatrist be able to help. I don't like this, I'm afraid it is going to tear off......Also 3 of my fingernails have vertical ridges and I am getting nervous that these will turn into splits too. Any advice appreciated......Thanks, M
The vertical ridges CAN turn into permanently split nails as well. Let me explain a little before I get any further.

The nail plate rides forward on the nail bed on a series of rails and grooves much like a train rides forward on its tracks. The 'rails' are on the nail bed and the 'grooves' are on the underside of the nail plate. When the rails experience hypergrowth of the cells, they will push the rail up through the nail plate, permanently splitting it into two separate sections. (You can see a photo of this on my website and I will post the address further down.)

Sometimes, the rails will look more prominent if your nail plate is dried out from having your hands in water a lot or from using any type of household cleaning solution without wearing gloves or if having your hands in strong solvents at work. Remember, everything we see and touch is a chemical except for light and electricity - even a newborn babies skin is 100% chemical.

the nail plate layers stay together by a series of inter-connecting bands. If the hands/nails are wet for longe than 3 minutes, the bands can be stretched beyond their limit to 'snap bak' and the nail plate becomes weaker ad will appear dry and brittle. This can also allow the rails to become higher down the vertical center of the nail and the nail may end up splitting nto two sections.

You might try appllying a good quality nail and cuticle oil several times a day such as Botanical Oil available in the nail department of your local Sally Beauty Supply, or Solar Oil available in fne nail salons and Ulta cosmetic oultets nationwide. Both oils contain jojoba oil and other conditioning, moisturizing essential oils as well as vitamin E. Vitamin E will help to alleviate the free radicals (molecules) that lead to pre-mature ageing in the skin and nails. Apply the oil several times during the day if you have your hands inwater a lot or work with fabrics and textiles (paper). I am not saying that this will prevent them from splitting, but it is worth a try. If you apply it regularly, you should notice a difference within the first two weeks; even more improvement with continued use.

My website address is www.hooked-on-nails.com - click on Nail Disorders (link approved by Moderator 1)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
(female)

mariazzzz HB User

Well this is not good news.......How can someone have a normal life with 3 or 4 split in two fingernails! You would be prone to infection and it would just make life unbearable! I thought ridges were signs of something metabolic. WHY are there ridges...This is worrisome....Can anyone else offer any ideas? Thanks, M

Old 08-29-2005, 05:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariazzzz
Well this is not good news.......How can someone have a normal life with 3 or 4 split in two fingernails! You would be prone to infection and it would just make life unbearable! I thought ridges were signs of something metabolic. WHY are there ridges...This is worrisome....Can anyone else offer any ideas? Thanks, M
The ridges are there because if they were not there, the nail plate could not grow forward on the nail bed. As I said, the ridges, for whatever reason, will sometimes grow upward. When they do this, they can get so tall that they virtually cut the nail plate into two sections. No, it does not leave it open to infection as both sides of the split nail plate are surrounded by skin and sealed tightly to the nail bed.

Ridges are usually a sign of aging or of a nail plate that is dried out from being overexposed to strong solvents - water is considered the universal solvent because it cuts through the most solutes (dirt, grime, etc.)

Try the oil I suggested.

Closed Thread