It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

i heart carl HB User
skin peeling off my fingertips

a few days ago, the skin began peeling from my fingertips. it is healthy-looking skin, not dry skin. i haven't started using any new products. i did stop using a strong astringent (containing salicylic acid) that i thought could possibly be the cause. don't know if that's helping yet. but after a shower or bath, the skin is really loose and peel-y and hang-y. it seems to be making its way down my fingers - it's kinda getting worse. i don't take abnormally long showers. this has never happened to me before. i doesn't really hurt; it's a bit sore though. i have no idea what it could be - i've thought of everything. the weird thing is, it started on my left hand - i don't use my left hand for much. but now it's on my right hand too - every finger except my pinkies. i've been clipping the loose skin with a cuticle trimmer and using neosporin, vaseline, and hand cream. overnight and whenever else i can, i wear cotton gloves to protect my hands. it's really getting in the way of everyday tasks, and i can't stand it anymore. i will probably make a doctors appointment if it doesn't stop, but in the meantime, please help!!!

Last edited by i heart carl; 08-27-2005 at 07:17 PM.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: skin peeling off my fingertips

Quote:
Originally Posted by i heart carl
a few days ago, the skin began peeling from my fingertips. it is healthy-looking skin, not dry skin. i haven't started using any new products. i did stop using a strong astringent (containing salicylic acid) that i thought could possibly be the cause. don't know if that's helping yet. but after a shower or bath, the skin is really loose and peel-y and hang-y. it seems to be making its way down my fingers - it's kinda getting worse. i don't take abnormally long showers. this has never happened to me before. i doesn't really hurt; it's a bit sore though. i have no idea what it could be - i've thought of everything. the weird thing is, it started on my left hand - i don't use my left hand for much. but now it's on my right hand too - every finger except my pinkies. i've been clipping the loose skin with a cuticle trimmer and using neosporin, vaseline, and hand cream. overnight and whenever else i can, i wear cotton gloves to protect my hands. it's really getting in the way of everyday tasks, and i can't stand it anymore. i will probably make a doctors appointment if it doesn't stop, but in the meantime, please help!!!
The skin can peel in this manner due to several causes; some sort of skin disorder, repeated and prolonged contact with an irritant ( possibly the astringent) or due to allergic reaction to something else you came in contact with. i do suggest a visit to the doctor for a proper diagnosis and some stronger medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

Missuniverse012 HB User

The same thing is happening to me, but with my right foot. I just figure it is because I've recently started wearinf tennis shoes due to an injured left foot. I figured my toes weren't used to be covered all day like that.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
(female)

Marchand HB User

I joined this forum for research on exactly the same thing...

My fingers are peeling from the tips around my nails, and like you, it is not "painful" but very uncomfortable and worsens when I get them wet...

I went to the doctor yesterday because this is all accompanied by a chest cough and sinus headache that I have had for a few days...

The doctor told me that the peeling is most likely from a bacterial infection that is trying get out of my body... She put me on antibioctics... This has never happened to me before... Weirdest thing... and like you, no matter what you put on them, they just keep peeling....

You should go to the doctor and see what they tell you.... and please, let me know....

thanks......

Old 09-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
(female)

bterrell56 HB User

Something sort of like that is happening to me. The skin underneath the tip of my nail and around my nail is really dry and i peel it off and sometimes it hurts. I have an acrylic overlay on my nails and was told that i needed to let them air out for a while so i did that and i bought some cuticle oil and it helped a little but not much. So i got the acrylic put back on and it is still doing it. I dont think it is the acrylic b/c i have been getting my nails done for quite a while and this has just started. Does anyone have any idea what this is??

Old 09-26-2005, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bterrell56
Something sort of like that is happening to me. The skin underneath the tip of my nail and around my nail is really dry and i peel it off and sometimes it hurts. I have an acrylic overlay on my nails and was told that i needed to let them air out for a while so i did that and i bought some cuticle oil and it helped a little but not much. So i got the acrylic put back on and it is still doing it. I dont think it is the acrylic b/c i have been getting my nails done for quite a while and this has just started. Does anyone have any idea what this is??
Allergic reaction to acrylic does not happen overnight, but only after repeated and prolonged contaict of the liquid monomer to your skin. This can take YEARS. In your case, I would agree with the doctor - yours is probably an allergic reaction and you should have the nails removed as the condition will only worsen with each exposure.

Old 10-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
(female)

jc60656 HB User

A friend of mine had something exactly like what all of you are talking about. She was told to use an over the counter anti fungal cream and was prescribed Lamisil to treat it as a fungal infection of sorts. So far, things have been drastically improving within the last few weeks of this treatment.

Just something to think about I guess.
good luck
janine

Closed Thread