It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

judylee413 HB User
Fingernail ripped partially off, skin is receding, please help

I have silk wraps and i managed to rip one of my nails, real and wrapped somewhat off, it was bleeding on the sides but remained attached on top. Now its two weeks later, the nail is now unattached to the nail bed and pretty much loose except for on top where its still attached to the finger. The skin on top is receding back on one side, exposing the new nail, i think thats what it is. It doesn't hurt at all unless i try to play with it. I don't know what to do. I don't know if i should see a doctor, cut my nail as short as possible, or just let it be. The nail is still wrapped and just sitting there. I keep it wrapped in a band aid. I also have no health insurance, so I only want to go to a dr. if its really necessary, please help.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Fingernail ripped partially off, skin is receding, please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by judylee413
I have silk wraps and i managed to rip one of my nails, real and wrapped somewhat off, it was bleeding on the sides but remained attached on top. Now its two weeks later, the nail is now unattached to the nail bed and pretty much loose except for on top where its still attached to the finger. The skin on top is receding back on one side, exposing the new nail, i think thats what it is. It doesn't hurt at all unless i try to play with it. I don't know what to do. I don't know if i should see a doctor, cut my nail as short as possible, or just let it be. The nail is still wrapped and just sitting there. I keep it wrapped in a band aid. I also have no health insurance, so I only want to go to a dr. if its really necessary, please help.
Go to your nail technician and have them remove the wrap, then cut the nail as short as possible. DO NOT continue to wear a bandaid as this will allow for excess moisture to build up in the nail plate - fungus and bacteria just love moisture, and you could get an infection in the areas of nail plate separation. You can get the nail wrapped again after the damage has completely grown out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
(male)

mwhb HB User
Re: Fingernail ripped partially off, skin is receding, please help

I don't have health insurance, either.

I got my fingernail caught in a garage door track when I was little, and the nail got ripped off from the base out (yikes). It is a long and tender regrowth period.. It's surprising how often you bump your fingertips on anything.

I just smashed my toenail now some 25 years later snowboarding, and it appears the nail base is separated from the bone and loose. This can happen from stubbing a toe, acrylic finger nails getting caught on something, etc.

The nail will eventually fall off with varying degrees of trauma to surrounding tissue, and the new nail should come in eventually. I read it takes up to 18 months for toenails to regrow, and 6 months for fingernails.

It is important to look out for signs of infection or fungal growth. This can also occur from bacteria gathering in small spaces where the fake nail isn't attached fully to the real nail. Consulting with a doctor might be a good idea.

They may be able to temporarily place the nail in position where regrowth will be less bothersome, or remove the old loose nail completely if necessary. They also have various antibacerial and anti-fungal treatments, both oral and topical. Local superstores may have various home treatments, but some may not be able to penetrate the nail and fight what is going wrong.

keep it dry and well aired!

: : Can anyone help me? My mothers nail separated from her nail bed and it turned white, she was wondering if there was anything she can do about it so it would go back to normal.

: Nail separation is generally caused by either a yeast or fungal infection, and only a dermatologist can determine which it is by doing a scraping and a culture. If she has been wearing acrylic nails, it could be an allergy to the products -- especially if it is accompanied by red, itchy, swollen cuticles.

Closed Thread