It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 09:17 PM   #1

ldsbumpma HB User
Question Help!!!Ridged Nails

Hi all,

I have a question and hope someone here can help with it. My fingernails are ridged and they are getting worse. My thumbnails especially are bad they look like Ridges Potato chips !! It is very embarassing and if I try to smooth them the nails become weak and break all the time. My sister says she is having the same problem but not as bad. I am considering covering them with acrylic nails . Does anyone know if this is something to worry about? Is it a sign of some kind of deficiency? Is there a cure???
I hope someone can give me some answers
Thanks,
Ldsbumpma

Old 09-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Help!!!Ridged Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsbumpma
Hi all,

I have a question and hope someone here can help with it. My fingernails are ridged and they are getting worse. My thumbnails especially are bad they look like Ridges Potato chips !! It is very embarassing and if I try to smooth them the nails become weak and break all the time. My sister says she is having the same problem but not as bad. I am considering covering them with acrylic nails . Does anyone know if this is something to worry about? Is it a sign of some kind of deficiency? Is there a cure???
I hope someone can give me some answers
Thanks,
Ldsbumpma
YOur fingernails grow forward on the nail bed by a series of rails and grooves. the rails are on the nail bed and the grooves are on the underside of the nail plate. These most resemble the rails of a train track and the grooves of the trains wheels.

When the nail plate becomes dried out from age or from the use of strong solvents, these ridges become more apparent. The nail plate can also split and peel into layers. By strong solvents, I mean having your hands in water a lot or using any type of household cleaning solution without wearing protective gloves. Working with paper and fabrics will also wick the natural oils and moisture from the nail plate.I also do not recommend buffing the ridges away as it will make the nail plate weaker.

Go to your local Sally Beauty Supply and purchase a bottle of Botanical Oil in the nail department. Apply it several times a day and massage into the skin and nails. You should notice a difference within the first month.

For more information on yur natural nails, please visit my website www.hooked-on-nails.com (link approved by Moderator 1)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #3

ldsbumpma HB User

Thank you!! I am not sure which problem I have that caused this. I do work in an office with paper?? My sister is a teacher. Our local Sally's closed down and I am not sure where the closest one is but will try to find out.
You are the greatest and perform such a service here.
Thanks alot.
ldabumpma

Old 09-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

If you cannot find a Sally, you can mix your own oil. Ou will need jojoba oil and vitamin E oil. You can have your choice of the followinhg, but use no more than 2 of them: Sweet almond oil, Rice Bran OIl, Grape Seed Oil, or Passion Flower Oil.

Mix:
2 oz jojoba
2 oz of one of the 'your choice 'oils (such as sweet almond)
2 oz of one of the 'your choice' oils (such as Rice Bran)
1/2 oz vitamin E oil

Mix together in a bottle that you can seal such as an emply and CLEAN lotion bottle. You can store it in the fridge to keep it fresh. Clean out an empty polish bottle as well as clean the applicator brush. You can do this with regular polish remover, and then wash and dry the bottle real well. Pour some of the oil into the bottle so you can carry it with you during the day and apply as often as needed.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
(female)

cindybutch HB User

Try Folic Acid daily It helps with hair problems also

Old 09-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Folic acid will not help to reduce the ridges in the nails since they are caused by the nail plate being dried out. It needs rehydration! Folic acid does not help to rehydrate the nail plate. The myth that drinking gelatin will help the nails is just that - a myth. There are a lot of myths out there about nails, whether natural or artificial. If the nails are dry, split and peeling, they need moisutre and oil.

The nail plate is held together by tiny interconnecting bands between the nail plate cells. When these bands become stretched beyond their limit to 'snap-back', they will break and the nail plate will split and peel. This is usually the result of having ones hands in water a lot. Water will wick the natural oils nad moisture from the nail plate. if one works with a lot of paper or textiles (fabrics), these will also wick the natural oils and moisture from the nail plate. The result is a dry nail plate that will allow the rails and grooves upon which the nail plate rides forward to become more prominent and visible.

Rehydrating, conditioning and moisturizing the nail plate is the only thing that will help this problem.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
(male)

Uncle Mike HB User
Post Re: Help!!!Ridged Nails

I have this problem also, but its only on my thumb nails though, why is that??? My thumb nails are awful looking! They have ridges, dips, and grooves in them. I work in an auto repair shop, so my hands are always dirty and Im forever washing them, so I guess they are extremely dried out?? This has been a problem for me for years! I never knew why it was like this and never wanted to check with a doctor either, figured he wouldnt have an idea why either, but I guess it is more common than I think? Why is it only my thumb nails though, the other 8 finger nails look fine. If its from washing my hands so much, why arent all 10 nails this way?? Is there anything I can take orally to help, any kind of vitamin or anything like that, please tell me. Mike

Old 10-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I too have that problem - and it is significantly worse on my thumb nails. My mother's nails are like that also - and I believe it is something I inherited. I tried the oil that was mentioned earlier in this post - and everything else I could find - only NOTHING helped me. So - I just have acrylic nails now. I was always embarrassed about how mine looked, and now they are pretty all the time.

Last edited by littlejmb; 10-08-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:18 PM   #9

ldsbumpma HB User

I don't know either. I am trying to oils and some other strengthening and rehydrating products over the counter. Not much improvement yet though. Marti is the real expert here and she said that too much time in hot water or certain chemicals will dry the nail bed out. I am using Jojoba, Grapeseed and Sweet Almond oil and plan to keep trying. It took a while to get this bad so maybe the same is true for time to improve.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maybe you will be lucky and it will help you. Mine were not caused by being in too much water or chemicals. I really think mine is something I inherited from my mother. She could have kept that to herself! haha

Old 10-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #11

ldsbumpma HB User

I know what you mean!! Mine may be inherited too, my older sister has the same thing, and by the way, mine are worse on my thumbnails too but some of the others are starting to show ridges too.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have it on other nails as well - but most definitely worse on my thumbnails. I wonder why that is? As I started getting older - mine started doing that. They actually peel sideways from the ridges.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #13

ldsbumpma HB User

I don't know either. I do think getting older has something to do with it. Nothing you have tried has helped? What have you tried?

Old 10-09-2005, 06:45 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

To be honest, I have tried so many things over the years that say they are good for that, I don't remember what all they were. But, I did get the oil stuff from Sally's once and tried it but couldn't tell it helped mine. I massaged into my nails and cuticle bed like it said to. I've also tried Avon products, Sally Hansen, etc. Nothing worked

Old 10-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #15

ldsbumpma HB User

You are taking away my hopes!!! Just kidding. But seriously, I am trying the Sally Hansen along with a home made oil concoction. I may have to resort to Acrylics if this doesn't work. I hate to because they make such a mess of your natural nails. Good luck to you!!

Closed Thread