It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
(female)

prtebvr HB User
Blister under toe nail?

Hi, Marti. I recently participated in a 3-day, 60 mile walk for breast cancer. Luckily for me, I escaped without any blisters on the bottoms of my feet. However, the nail on my big toe and the second toe on my left foot were a bit tender for the next couple days following the walk. I remember, while at camp during the walk, I overheard a lady saying she got a blister under the toe nail and she ended up losing the nail. Does this always happen?? I did not pop either blister, but yesterday, the big toe nail one did pop and some sticky, yellow goo started coming out from under the nail (gross!). There is a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of blood at the small opening of the blister. And, on the sedcond toe, nothing has popped yet, but it looks like the nailbed is bruised. I do not think the nail, itself, is purple, but under the nail is. Which has me wondering if it's a blood blister, or just a big bruise. Also, my shoes were one full size larger than my normal shoe and I did not feel any bunching of my toes during the three days.
What should one do in this case? Someone at work suggested going to a podiatrist to have the nail punctured so air can get in so I don't lose the nail. The nail on the big toe seems to be lifting just a bit where the blister is. I don't want to try to lift it, myself, to see how far it's lifting.
HELP!!!
Thank you.
Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
(female)

prtebvr HB User
Blister under toe nail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtebvr
Hi, Marti. I recently participated in a 3-day, 60 mile walk for breast cancer. Luckily for me, I escaped without any blisters on the bottoms of my feet. However, the nail on my big toe and the second toe on my left foot were a bit tender for the next couple days following the walk. I remember, while at camp during the walk, I overheard a lady saying she got a blister under the toe nail and she ended up losing the nail. Does this always happen?? I did not pop either blister, but yesterday, the big toe nail one did pop and some sticky, yellow goo started coming out from under the nail (gross!). There is a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of blood at the small opening of the blister. And, on the sedcond toe, nothing has popped yet, but it looks like the nailbed is bruised. I do not think the nail, itself, is purple, but under the nail is. Which has me wondering if it's a blood blister, or just a big bruise. Also, my shoes were one full size larger than my normal shoe and I did not feel any bunching of my toes during the three days.
What should one do in this case? Someone at work suggested going to a podiatrist to have the nail punctured so air can get in so I don't lose the nail. The nail on the big toe seems to be lifting just a bit where the blister is. I don't want to try to lift it, myself, to see how far it's lifting.
HELP!!!
Thank you.
Amy
I've also recently noticed the area under the nail isn't pink like the rest of my nails. It is almost white. I can still see some of the liquid (or whatever it is) under the nail. I have an appointment to see a doctor next Wednesday, but in the meantime, I am interested to see what you have to say, Marti.

Thanks.

Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Blister under toe nail?

Quote:
I've also recently noticed the area under the nail isn't pink like the rest of my nails. It is almost white. I can still see some of the liquid (or whatever it is) under the nail. I have an appointment to see a doctor next Wednesday, but in the meantime, I am interested to see what you have to say, Marti.

Thanks.

Amy
Anytime someone walks that far and does not do it as a 'sport', they will expereince some sort of trauma to the toenails. The white area you are seeing is where the nail plate has separated from the nail bed due to the stress places on the nails from walking. Regardless of if the shoes were too big, the toes still 'hit' the top of the inside of the shoe. this is still considered 'trauma'. Please do see your doctor so he can rule out infection. I doubt if he will puncture the nail plate unless the bruise to the nail bed is causing you a lot of pain and the nail bed is bleeding.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
(female)

prtebvr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti
Anytime someone walks that far and does not do it as a 'sport', they will expereince some sort of trauma to the toenails. The white area you are seeing is where the nail plate has separated from the nail bed due to the stress places on the nails from walking. Regardless of if the shoes were too big, the toes still 'hit' the top of the inside of the shoe. this is still considered 'trauma'. Please do see your doctor so he can rule out infection. I doubt if he will puncture the nail plate unless the bruise to the nail bed is causing you a lot of pain and the nail bed is bleeding.
Due to the separation, does that mean I will definitely lose the nail/s?

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Due to the separation, does that mean I will definitely lose the nail/s?

Thanks for the info.
You might - it depends on if the nail was damaged at the matrix. If the matrix was compromised, the damaged portion of the nail will separate from the new emerging nail plate cells and could 'fall off' as it gets pushed forward by the new nail plate.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
(female)

prtebvr HB User

Quote:
You might - it depends on if the nail was damaged at the matrix. If the matrix was compromised, the damaged portion of the nail will separate from the new emerging nail plate cells and could 'fall off' as it gets pushed forward by the new nail plate.

Great. I have a feeling I am going to lose it. I can see underneath the nail. There is a reddish spot at the matrix (can't tell if it's a bruise (not tender)). I don't know what that is. Guess I'll wait and see what the Dr. says Wednesday.

Thanks for the help.

Amy

Old 11-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Great. I have a feeling I am going to lose it. I can see underneath the nail. There is a reddish spot at the matrix (can't tell if it's a bruise (not tender)). I don't know what that is. Guess I'll wait and see what the Dr. says Wednesday.

Thanks for the help.

Amy
If there is a red spot at or in the matrix, chances are that you will eventually lose the damaged nail plate. Remember, the matrix will recover and will create new nail plate cells, although they may look damaged as they first emerge, but even that will grow forward and off the free edge. Losing a nail is not permanent unless the entire nail root is surgically removed. thank goodness it isn't summertime right now, so the nail has plenty of time to grow out before sandal season.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
(female)

prtebvr HB User

Quote:
If there is a red spot at or in the matrix, chances are that you will eventually lose the damaged nail plate. Remember, the matrix will recover and will create new nail plate cells, although they may look damaged as they first emerge, but even that will grow forward and off the free edge. Losing a nail is not permanent unless the entire nail root is surgically removed. thank goodness it isn't summertime right now, so the nail has plenty of time to grow out before sandal season.
Okay, so I went to the Dr. yesterday. He told me the two hematomas (sp?) should just grow out and shouldn't be a problem and that the nails, themselves, look fine.
But the big toe nail-Not only has it almost completely separated from the nail bed (it's still attached at the bottom and the sides and it's not loose) and I can see my nail bed under the nail. There is a space between the two. Which is just lovely. So, again, not only has it separated, but the nail, itself, is now curved up a bit. He told me there was basically permanent damage to the nail and it will never be attached to the nail bed again. ???? What? From what I read from you, Marti, not only in my thread, but others, if the matrix is okay, when the nail grows out, it should be fine. Have you ever heard of permanent damage to the nail and always having the separation?
He also told me to massage/rub the two corners of the nail to help avoid ingrown toenails. Since the pressure of the nail curving up in the middle can cause those.
I'm baffled by this. I've filed the nail so it's not even at the tip of my toe. I intend to keep it as short as I can so as to not catch it on something and have it rip off.
Also, since there was the trauma from that 60-mile walk, what other damage can I do to it with daily exercise? I like to kick box or spend about 45 minutes on an elyptical (sp?) machine. Now I'm worried that if my toe hits the top of the shoe (like it did during the walk), it won't 'heal' properly.
?????

Sorry for the long-windedness of this post, but I just want to see what you have to say.

Thank you.

Amy

Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would highly suggest not participating in any high-level exercise that would put undue pressure on the affected toenails. The more pressure applied to an already damaged nail can cause even further damage; possibly permanent. If you continue to damage the nail through exercise, the nail may never grow forward firmly attached to the nail bed, so in that case, your doctor would be right. If you switch to a different type of exercise until the nai complately heals, it should be fine. Usually when the nail matrix is damaged, it will continue to produce nail plate cells, although they may grow in bumpy or with depressions. Give yourself and your nails a break and switch to another form of exercise until the nail is completely healed. It can take about 6 months for the nail to completley heal and begin to grow in normal again.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #10
(female)

prtebvr HB User

Quote:
I would highly suggest not participating in any high-level exercise that would put undue pressure on the affected toenails. The more pressure applied to an already damaged nail can cause even further damage; possibly permanent. If you continue to damage the nail through exercise, the nail may never grow forward firmly attached to the nail bed, so in that case, your doctor would be right. If you switch to a different type of exercise until the nai complately heals, it should be fine. Usually when the nail matrix is damaged, it will continue to produce nail plate cells, although they may grow in bumpy or with depressions. Give yourself and your nails a break and switch to another form of exercise until the nail is completely healed. It can take about 6 months for the nail to completley heal and begin to grow in normal again.
So, I guess kickboxing is out of the question for a while?? AGH!
Well, today I noticed the nail is separating on the sides of the nail now. I can lift it more. Wonderful. I guess it's just a matter of time before it falls off. Fabulous. I just HOPE it grows back normally.
Thank you for your help.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
So, I guess kickboxing is out of the question for a while?? AGH!
Well, today I noticed the nail is separating on the sides of the nail now. I can lift it more. Wonderful. I guess it's just a matter of time before it falls off. Fabulous. I just HOPE it grows back normally.
Thank you for your help.
Since it doesn't sound as if you damaged the matrix, which is under the skin at the cuticle line, then the nail will grow back normal. As it grows forward, it will push the damaged ifted nail from the nail bed adn it will safely and painlessly "fall off".

Old 11-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
(female)

prtebvr HB User

Quote:
Since it doesn't sound as if you damaged the matrix, which is under the skin at the cuticle line, then the nail will grow back normal. As it grows forward, it will push the damaged ifted nail from the nail bed adn it will safely and painlessly "fall off".
I hope to GOD you are right, Marti! The Dr. seems to think the nail will forever to unattached. Ugh.
Only time will tell.

Thank you so much!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next year!

Amy

Old 11-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I hope to GOD you are right, Marti! The Dr. seems to think the nail will forever to unattached. Ugh.
Only time will tell.

Thank you so much!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next year!

Amy
Doctors don't know too much about nails as witnessed by my own doctor who constantly accesses my website for nail information. Unless the nail was ripped out or surgically removed by the root (Matrix) the nail will grow back - I promise you that. It may grow in a bit funny looking at first, but it will grow back nonetheless.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
(female)

prtebvr HB User

Quote:
Doctors don't know too much about nails as witnessed by my own doctor who constantly accesses my website for nail information. Unless the nail was ripped out or surgically removed by the root (Matrix) the nail will grow back - I promise you that. It may grow in a bit funny looking at first, but it will grow back nonetheless.

Good Lord... I feel like I'm beating a dead horse...I just got off the phone with the doctor. I had to ask about potential infections since the nail isn't attached (I was worried that when I take a shower/get a pedicure, the water might just sit there then God knows what...). I then had to ask, since I was still confused about the damage, why, if the matrix wasn't damaged, the nail wouldn't grow back normally. Apparently, I either misunderstood or he didn't explain correctly. He said the nail plate was damaged due to the blister. When the nail starts to grow out, it may or may not attache itself to the nail plate. Also, it may or may not grow back normally (flat).
So, given this information, with the nail PLATE being damaged by the blister, what is your experience w/nails growing back?
Again, I know only time will tell, but just want to get your opinion on this new information.
If it's a bit curved, big deal. I don't see how that would bother me too much. I just want it to be attached to the skin. I don't want to be paranoind for the rest of my life that if I bump it, it'll rip off.
Hopefully this will be the end of it, Marti!

Thanks-Amy

Old 11-07-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rip the nail out by the root and it won't grow anymore because it ccanot create new nail plate cells. Damage the matrix and the nail may grow in bumpy or ridged depending on the amount of damage. If the hematoma is where you can see the entire thing and it doesn't disappear under the cutilce area, then you will be fine. A new nail WILL grow out and should be firmly attached to the nail bed. The nail plate rides forward on the nail bed by a series of rails and grooves much like a train rides forward on its tracks. If the nail bed has sustained permanent damage, the nail plat ewill not attach itself in just that area. This is usually the result of a deep cut completely through the nail plate and into the nail bed. I have even seen nails that have been torn from the nail bed grow back in firmly attached. YOu won't know what will happen until the new emerging cells push the damaged portion from the nail bed. You should notice new cells emerging within 3 months. Get back with me then and we'll know more.

Closed Thread