It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

Gerdie HB User
Question Eczema of the toenails????

For years I thought I had toenail fungus. I've taken Sporanex, Penlac and various home remedies to no avail. Some things helped slightly, but my toenails remain thick and yellowish. My doctor took some scrapings and cuttings of my toenails at my last visit and the test showed no fungus, but eczema of the nail. I tried researching this on the internet, but I'm not finding anything worth mentioning. Sites on eczema talk about this skin and not the nails, and anything related to nail disorders brings up fungus.

Has anyone heard of this condition? If so, what can I do for treatment? My doctor didn't mention any treatment at all. My overall skin is very dry, but I wouldn't say I have eczema on my skin.

Thank you for any help anyone can give me. I would so love to have nice looking nails for once in my life!
Gerdie

Old 12-22-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Eczema of the toenails????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdie
For years I thought I had toenail fungus. I've taken Sporanex, Penlac and various home remedies to no avail. Some things helped slightly, but my toenails remain thick and yellowish. My doctor took some scrapings and cuttings of my toenails at my last visit and the test showed no fungus, but eczema of the nail. I tried researching this on the internet, but I'm not finding anything worth mentioning. Sites on eczema talk about this skin and not the nails, and anything related to nail disorders brings up fungus.

Has anyone heard of this condition? If so, what can I do for treatment? My doctor didn't mention any treatment at all. My overall skin is very dry, but I wouldn't say I have eczema on my skin.

Thank you for any help anyone can give me. I would so love to have nice looking nails for once in my life!
Gerdie
Can you describe for me please, exactly what the nails look like? It might help a lot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

Gerdie HB User

Sorry it's taken me awhile to check back on this.

My toenails are thick, yellowish and don't really grow like normal nails. I have had toenails like this since I was a teen and I'm mid-fifties now. It hasn't gotten much worse over the years which is what made my doctor suspicious about it being fungus. I file them down to keep them from being so thick, but that is about all I normally do for them now.

I hope that helps with a description. One doctor said it was candida, and my latest test results were non-fungus, but the doctor said it's an eczema.

Thanks!
Gerdie

Old 01-08-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Let me look into this a little further and I will get back with you. by the way, candida is a 'yeast' infection of the nails and does not usually result in thickened, yellowish nails as you describe.

Is the nail plate separated from the nail bed in any way? This usually occurs if there is fungus, yeast or bacterial infection present, so if there is NO separation, it is something else. Are your parents nails like this as well? /we inherit our nails from our parents as well as everything else.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

Gerdie HB User

Hi,

My parents don't have the problem. I am the only one in my family with toenails like this. It started early - I remember them being thick in high school and I'm now 56. I've taken various fungus treatments but nothing really helped.

Under the nail, the bed is soft. I can scrape away a white goop from under my big toenails. Close to the cuticle, the nail looks fairly normal, but then gets thick. I usually file them down to keep them from being so thick and that is all I've been doing lately. I had tried the Vick's for several months, but that is messy and didn't seem to be helping any. Same for tea tree oil.

I was very surprised at what my doctor said. I still think it's fungus, but if she had scapings lab tested and said "no fungus"....I don't know!

I'd be interested in anything you can come up with, and especially any idea for treatment.
Gerdie

Old 01-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fungus is usually characterized by a yellowish discoloration of the nail plate, apparent nail plate separation, thickening of the nail plate an apparent debris in the area of separation. If you can scrape out debris from the backside of the nail plate where it has separated, then I also suspect fungus. You might want to go see your dermatologist for a second opinion.

Killing fungus can take upwards of a year and that is only if you stick with the medication of your choice and apply it regularly according to directions.

Fungus infection also includes those from the yeast family such as Candida. This type of infection does not normally thicken the nails, nor does it turn them yellow; there is also no apparent debris in the area of separation. Ask that they check you for candida.

Closed Thread