It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
(male)

thebluedog HB User
Arrow I might have the answer for toenail fungus, but don't get excited yet...

I may have the answer for getting rid of toenail fungus. The solution may be to get more probiotics into your diet, i.e. good bacteria. Probiotics can help rid your body of fungus. Yogurt and kefir are very good sources of probiotics. Kefir is the best. Do a google search and see for yourself.
Here's my story...
Just 6 weeks ago I went to a dermatologist to get my big toenail checked out. I was certain I had toenail fungus, but a year ago another dermatologist looked at it and said that it was "nothing". (My big toenail was very ridged and thickened with white spots. My toenail has worsened over the last 5 years.) So, I got a second opinion. The dermatologist immediately said it was toenail fungus. So, he wrote me a prescription for Lamisil. I did some research on Lamisil and decided that I wasn't going to take it b/c of the side effects. So, I did some research and decided I would take a more natural approach. However, I never really came to a decision on which one I would try. Here's how I discovered that maybe probiotics can influence toenail fungus.
I started drinking kefir and eating yogurt for their probiotic health benefits. Ironically, I added yogurt about the time I saw my dermatologist and kefir just weeks ago. Now, it may be just coincidence, but my toenail is starting to grow out perfectly smooth! It's about a third grown out now. I am extremely excited and hope this continues!
Here's a little history of how incorporated kefir and yogurt in my diet:
About 7 weeks ago, I started eating 1 or 2 yogurts per day and about 4 weeks I started drinking kefir. Now, I've only been consistenly drinking 8 ounces of kefir per day for 3 or 4 weeks. I must point out that I only realized that my nail was growing out smoothly and normal looking about a week and a half ago. This is the only thing that I can attribute to the changes in my nail. Nothing else in my diet has changed and I am not taking any prescriptions. I did try probiotic pills about a year ago but didn't take them for very long. In the last two weeks I have added them to my diet, so I don't know if they work as well using yogurt and kefir.
Try it for yourself. Yogurt and kefir are good for you anyway. You can buy kefir at health food grocery stores and at some grocery stores that have health food sections. Or you can make it yourself.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Last edited by thebluedog; 12-18-2005 at 09:21 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to thebluedog:
sqadri17 (05-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
(male)

thebluedog HB User
Question Re: I might have the answer for toenail fungus, but don't get excited yet...

I just wanted to report my progress. My big toe nail is still growing in smoothly and normal looking. It's about 40% grown in now and looking great!
Has anyone tried my suggestion? I'm curious to find out if anyone else will have similiar results.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: I might have the answer for toenail fungus, but don't get excited yet...

what does kefir taste like? Does it have a nasty taste to it? Were you eating plain yogurt or flavored?

Old 01-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
(male)

thebluedog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonni
what does kefir taste like? Does it have a nasty taste to it? Were you eating plain yogurt or flavored?
Rhonni,

Kefir tastes similiar to yogurt and its sort of like a drinkable yogurt b/c it's thick. My wife and I think it tastes good plain. However, I add a couple ounces of a concentrated drink, such as cherry, blueberry, or pomegranate.

I mainly eat vanilla flavored yogurt, but you can eat any flavor. It's the quality of the good bacteria/probiotics that are in the yogurt that matter. I eat mostly Stonyfarms and Horizon brands. They are both organic, good quality, and have more active cultures than other brands.

However, I think Kefir is more powerful. Here's more info on Kefir. It's good for so many things...

Kefir's Health Benefits

In addition to kefir's ancient reputation as a healthy drink, it has been famously credited with the extraordinary longevity of people in the Caucasus. Hospitals in the former Soviet Union use kefir-especially when no modern medical treatment is available-to treat conditions ranging from atherosclerosis, allergic disease, metabolic and digestive disorders and tuberculosis to cancer and gastrointestinal disorders.

A number of studies conducted to date have documented kefir's ability to stimulate the immune system, enhance lactose digestion, and inhibit tumors, fungi, and pathogens- including the bacteria that cause most ulcers. This makes a lot of sense as scientists have since discovered that most ulcers are caused by an infection with the bacterium, Helicobacter pylori and not spicy food, stomach acid or stress, as physicians erroneously believed for years.

Scientists are now discovering that a great many inflammatory diseases (including certain types of heart disease) can be triggered by a bacterium. And that provides all the more reason to enjoy kefir as part of your daily diet

Last edited by thebluedog; 01-07-2006 at 11:06 AM.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
(male)

thebluedog HB User
Post Re: I might have the answer for toenail fungus, but don't get excited yet...

Progress report.

My nail is approaching 50% with new perfect growth. I'll keep you posted. I can't wait to see it 100% perfect!
Please me know if anyone else is trying my suggestion. I would like to know it helps anyone else.
Thanks

Old 01-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
(male)

thebluedog HB User

My nail is over 50% to 60% grown in now. It looks BEAUTIFUL!

WOW! Is anyone going to try my suggestion?
It's not simply yogurt that is helping...it's the good/healthy bacteria/organisms that are in yogurt that help. And you don't want just any yogurt...you want a good quality yogurt that lists the various strains of good bacteria that's in it. Look for a label that lists the active cultures. One of the brands that I eat has this listed on the label:
CONTAINS: SIX LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES INCLUDING: L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, L. CASEI, AND L. REUTERI.

And don't forget the granddaddy of probiotics/good bacteria/organisms>>KEFIR. I know, I'm like most people reading this...I had never heard of kefir until a few months ago.
Traditional kefir is prepared by combining fresh milk with the Kefir culture made up of yeasts and lactic acid bacteria. Kefir's live culture has been claimed to have health benefits similar to that of yogurt.
Remember: You can buy kefir from a grocery store or make it yourself.

Here are list of some of the cultures found in Kefir.

The exact combination of bacteria and yeasts vary between kefir cultures, and might include: Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. Cremoris, Lactococcus lactis subsp. Diacetylactis, Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. Cremoris, Lactobacillus kefyr, Klyveromyces marxianus var. Marxianus, and Saccaromyces unisporus.

These names don't make sense to me either, but I know they're good for you.
I'm in shock myself...that this is what helped rid me of toenail fungus. I'm very curious to find out if it helps someone else. I am eating 2 good quality yogurts, 8 ounces of kefir, and taking a probiotic supplement each day.

Best of Health and get rid of that toenail fungus!

Last edited by thebluedog; 01-17-2006 at 10:42 PM.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
(female)

KannD86 HB User

I used to eat yogurt every day when I heard about the benefits dairy has with weight loss. I think it was starting to have some effect, but I couldn't stand the yogurt after a while. I really don't like the taste of it, no matter what flavor or style. The only thing I sort of like is the Stony something organic smoothies. Not enough to drink it every day though.

Anyway, can the taste of Kefir be disguised to taste good/not like yogurt? I just noticed what I think is a fungus under one toenail and I'd like to do whatever it takes to get rid of it. This sounds like a good home remedy, but I won't force myself to eat something I dislike no matter how good it is for me.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #8
(male)

thebluedog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KannD86
Anyway, can the taste of Kefir be disguised to taste good/not like yogurt? I just noticed what I think is a fungus under one toenail and I'd like to do whatever it takes to get rid of it. This sounds like a good home remedy, but I won't force myself to eat something I dislike no matter how good it is for me.
I mix 2 ounces of blueberry concentrate(it's all natural) to 8 ounces of kefir. It tastes very good. You can also make smoothies using kefir. Just mix your favorite fruit with kefir in a blender.

Let me know what you think. I hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
(female)

teelow HB User

I've Had Nail Fungus For A Few Yrs Now And It's Getting Worse And Worse. It's Horribly Embarrasing. Painful, And Nasty! I Was On Lamisil For 7 Months, No Side Effects Thankfully. But After 7 Months I Saw No Difference/improvment At All. And My Extended Medical Didn'y Cover It, It Was Terribly Expensive. So I Quit Last Month. I Eat 1 Cup Of Yogurt Every Day, But I Will Increase It, And Check Into This Drink. Thanks For The Info, Hope It Works For Me Keep Your Finger Double Crossed Lol. I Took Some before Photos, So After 6-8 Weeks I'll Take Some More And We'll See What It Shows! I Also Soak My Toes In Vinegar (recently Started) It Takes Months To See A Diff But It Does Work. (did It Once Before When Only One Toes Was Affected, Then Got Lazy And Didn't Continue) Although My Toes Smell Constantly Of Vinegar! Lol It's Twice A Day Until Nail Grows Out Completely, Plus Another 4 Weeks Or So Maybe To Prvent More Growth.

Damn Fungus!

Thanks Again

Old 02-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
(male)

thebluedog HB User

I hope it works for you, teelow. I know it's frustrating. Make sure that you eat a good quality yogurt that has a lot of live cultures.

Progress Report
My nail is 70% grown in now. It's looks really good! I can't wait until it's fully grown in. I am still eating 2 good quality yogurts per day and drinking 8 ounces of kefir. Sometimes, I'll only eat one yogurt, but I try to stay consistent. I have added a good quality probiotic supplement to my daily regimen.

Yogurt can do amazing things. It's seems too simple, but it works. My wife's friend is using yogurt to treat a yeast infection.

Last edited by thebluedog; 02-10-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Couldn't you take acidophilous?

Old 02-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
(male)

thebluedog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyfoxy
Couldn't you take acidophilous?
Roxy,

It wouldn't hurt to try. However, acidophilous is just one strain of good bacteria. I don't know if taking acidophilous alone would help get rid of toenail fungus. There are probiotic supplements that have multiple strains of good bacteria. Generally, supplements are NOT as good as the "real thing". I think that yogurt and kefir are probably much more effective than taking a supplement probiotic. The kefir that I drink has 10 different live cultures and I recently switched to a yogurt that has 8 different live cultures.
Honestly, I haven't been as consistent as I was with eating 2 yogurts and 8 ounces of Kefir per day. That said, my nail is still growing out perfectly healthy.

Last edited by thebluedog; 02-25-2006 at 10:36 PM.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:47 AM   #13
(female)

emn3 HB User

thebluedog,
I had read your post with interest a few weeks ago after doing a google search for kefir and toenail fungus.
My saga: I had the fungus for several years without knowing what it was. I thought my big toenail was yellow from being discolored by nail polish. It became thicker over the years and the same thing started happening to my other big toe. That was basically the only two symptons for 5 or more years. Then two summers ago I had a terrible case of athelete's foot. Gradually my two nails started turning brown (small spot)with the telltale debris under the nail. Went to derm and was told it was a fungus--given a prescription for lamisil--worried about liver damage--started looking into natural cures. I started soaking my feet in vinegar and rubbing them with vicks at night and, sure enough, the nails started to clear. I did not fully research the cures, nor was I researching the susceptibility factors for this fungus. As summer was approaching, I stupidly polished my toenails and got lazy about soaking. Of course, the fungus started creeping back toward the nailbed, but was hidden by polish, so I didn't realize what was happening. What an idiot!
Back to sqare one: For years, I was a carbohydrate "junkie". Although not overweight, my diet was loaded with lots of white flour, cereals, and the like. I had symptons of candida, and started looking into probiotics. Cleaned up my diet gradually and started drinking kefir about a week ago. I started using vinegar again religiously about two months ago. There is now about a 1/4 inch of white at the base of my nail. I am also taking an anti-fungal from the health food store. I have also read that horsetail supplements will help with hair and nail growth, so I will start taking that as well as soon as I get to the store.
I have also read with interest about the thymol, and will consider purchasing some if the current protocol does not work.
I will keep you posted. Your nails seem to grow very quickily--did they grow as quickly before the kefir?
There are many, many testimonials on the web regarding vinegar, and I had some previous success with it, so I'll try again. The key, apparently, is not to miss one day of application, and it must be done twice a day--approx. 12 hours apart.
I'm interested in your progress!

Old 03-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
(male)

thebluedog HB User

emn3

I'm glad you found my post. What made you think to search for "kefir and toenail fungus"?

It's interesting that you mention candida. Because candida is a fungal infection. I have read that there is connection with candida and toenail fungus. I'm currently doing further investigation and will post some of my research later.

My nails seems to grow fairly quickly.

Progress report: My nail is currently 80% grown in and still growing in perfectly. I'm still eating yogurt and drinking kefir, however, I do miss a day here and there. But, that doesn't seem to effect my new nail growth.

Keep me posted emn3.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:18 AM   #15
(female)

emn3 HB User

I'm glad to hear your nail is almost clear! It's hard to believe that just yogurt and kefir seem to be helping. I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I recalled that probiotics help clear the body of fungal infections. One suggestion was to drink kefir due to the large number of probiotics in an 8 oz serving. That was when I thought to do a search on kefir and tonenail fungus to see what I'd find.

I'm actually using the vinegar, as I mentioned, but only 2 drops on each nail--not soaking as I had done before. I decided to start with kefir and yogurt as an addition to a heathy diet. The nails started clearing before the kefir, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I am seeing results!

The most difficult part of this process is finding out what works for you. It seems everyone swears by one remedy or another, but all fungal infections are different. I know a lot of people who have gone the drug route only to become reinfected--that, coupled with potential liver damage sent me to the web in search of a natural cure.

I'll keep you posted.
emn3

Closed Thread