It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

hevinly HB User
Nail fungus and yeast linked?

I've had problems with my two big toe nails for about 5 years now. I got them both at different times after I had dropped something heavy on them. My dad has nail fungus but his looks a little different but I have heard if you injury your toe and take a bath/shower in the same bathroom as someone that has a nail fungus that you can get it. My nails are very brittle, yellow, and they will grow out some but stop growing for a while and start again so each dead layer keeps getting pushed forward and is getting thick from all the layers building up. They are starting to grow more often than when I first got the problem. I haven't ever been to a doctor due to not having the money and I don't eat healthy so I'm worried about health problems from prescription meds. I have read on here about people using vicks vapor rub which I might try and I've also read in a book my mother bought from a school that had a bunch of listings of what people have tried for all different types of things that worked for them. I looked up nail fungus in it and someone said they used listerine with some water they soaked their feet in 4 times daily and it got rid of their problem. My nail problem is starting to get on my other nails. I did try a nail fungus from Wal-mart to see if it would even help just a little and it seemed to start working till my nails got looking like they were being eaten away so I stopped using it. I always wear socks even when I'm asleep and avoided swimming and wearing sandles due to being embarressed. While I was reading through some of the other threads on nail fungus I noticed a lot of people mentioned yeast bacteria can cause a nail problem. I was wanting to know if anyone that has a nail fungus caused by yeast if it can spread and cause an actual vaginal yeast infection to grow if maybe that might be why I can't get rid of mine? I read some people used yeast infection creams on their nails and got rid of the nail problem which I may try since I have some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Nail fungus and yeast linked?

True fungus and yeast are of the same family. Yeast is caused by Candida and can attack the nails as well as vaginal yeast infections, although from what I understand, they are two different strains of the same family.

If it is a yeast infection, the nails will separate from the nail bed, although they will not become thickened, nor will they take on a yellowish discoloration. the area of separation is generally very white and the free edge 'smile' lne will turn into a frown as the infection travels toward the cuticle. Yeast can be contracted in the same manner as true fungus. You usually get it from another infected person through the shower or other hard surface flooring as well as if yu use the same pedicure implements or files.

Fungus can be contracted in the same manner as yeast, although it is characterized by nail thickening, nail separation, apparent yellowing and apparent debris in teh area of separation. Yes, it can be spread form one nail to another.

Wearing socks to bed will only make matters worse as wearing socks willkeep the feet moist, and both fungus and yeast just LOVE all the extra moisture.

Fungus can usually be treated over the counter with one of hte OTC remedies found in drug stores. Yeast under thenails, on the other hand, will not respond to vaginal yeast medications. This type of infection will require a prescription from your doctor. The podiatrist I used to collaborate with usually prescribed Naftin ointment for yeast infection of the nails.

Only your doctor can tell the difference between the two infections.

Closed Thread