It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

clairebear3 HB User
Wink Uneven white part of nails 'running'

Ther white part of my nails has never had a roud even 'begining', if that makes sense! But the last few days it looks like the white part of my nail is 'running into the pink part. This is happening especially in the corners, it is encroaching by about 3 or 4mm in various places.

Does anyone else have this? Could it be because I clean by nails quite hard with a nail brush?

Any help appreciated! Thanks :

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Uneven white part of nails 'running'

I would have this checked out by your doctor or dermatologist. any change in the nail plate is cause for concern, but since this is the matrix (the portion where the nail plate cells are born), it could be something more serious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

prtebvr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear3
Ther white part of my nails has never had a roud even 'begining', if that makes sense! But the last few days it looks like the white part of my nail is 'running into the pink part. This is happening especially in the corners, it is encroaching by about 3 or 4mm in various places.

Does anyone else have this? Could it be because I clean by nails quite hard with a nail brush?

Any help appreciated! Thanks :
This sounds like what is happening with my index finger. The white part is separated from my nail bed (see post 'Another person w/separating nail). Marti has been a HUGE help. I've seen two dermatologists and, so far, there is no fungus. She also said it might be due to my 15 years of using a nail strengthener with formaldehyde. Not sure if you use anything w/formaldehyde in it like I used to, but I haven't been putting anything on my nails for the past two weeks and I am just hoping it will grow out.
Not much help for you, I'm sure. But like Marti said, go see a dermatologist.
I was prescribed something called Naftin Gel I use twice a day. Haven't noticed any change yet, but it's only been two weeks.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

I suppose I should have asked if this was at the Matrix near the cuticle or at the natural smile line (where the nail becomes free edge). There is a huge difference! If it is the free edge and the nail plate isseparating from the nail bed, it could be a yeast infection (candida). If it is candida, your doctor will prescribe Naftin ointment.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:16 AM   #5
(female)

clairebear3 HB User

Sorry I didn't make it very clear! It's happening at the opposite end from the cuticle, the bit where the white tip always is. I think I am going to lay off the nail brush for a while because I scrub them really hard and if they don't change within a week or so i'll be off to my GP.
Thanks for all your help!

Closed Thread