It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
(female)

AnglNDizgyz HB User
Infant toenails brittle, crack, peel and curl

Can anyone tell me why my 11 month old son has toenails that look like an 85 year olds? His nails have been like this since he was about a month old. They started cracking up the middle when we would put socks on him. Then when he started crawling...they got really bad, cracking and big pieces chipping off. He has lines and creases that go all the way to his cuticle that makes me believe they bend all the way up. Now I have noticed they are beginning to curl! I have kept them trimmed the bast i can but they chip and break all the time...what do I do???? I have done google searches and come up with nothing. PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Infant toenails brittle, crack, peel and curl

Have you asked his pediatrician? Our nails will generally reflect our inner health, so you might want to ask his doctor.

You can also try filing them with a 240 grit file instead of cutting them. Cutting them with nail clippers will conpress the nail plate layers and allow them to split and peel. File them as short as you can. Then, get a bottle of Botanical Oil from the nail department of your local Sally Beauty Supply. Apply the oil to his nails and massage into the nail plate and the cuticle at least twice daily and especially after a bath and before bedtime. This will help to condition the nail plate and help 'store' extra mositure and oils to keep the nail plate flexible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
(female)

betloww HB User

Hello

Have you found out the answer to your infant toenail problem? My son (18mths) has the same problem. The GP could not tell me why..

Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

A regular doctor cannot tell you about nail problems because they are not trained on nail conditions. You should take him to a podiatrist. Does anyone else in the family have this type of nail?

Nai Psoriasis will cause the nail to crumble. It begins with tiny pin-dot depressions in the nail plate and eventually causes the nail plate to crumble. I'm not saying that's what they have, I'm just saying it sounds like it may be.

Closed Thread