It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

butterfly84 HB User
Weird curving/bend of long nails

Does anyone else out there have nails that curve weird? I never thought much of it till I looked online and read that a lot of things control how your nails grow. I often grow mine out, they grow fast and are usually pretty strong. but the weird thing is that on my right hand my pointer and middle fingers have big bends on half the nail. Same for my left hand pointer finger. They grow out and then begin to curve downward once they get really long (or maybe they do when short and its harder to notice).The nails grow like this every time, so its not a one tie thing, and its so weird looking, it makes my nails look ugly.

Any idea of what causes this?? Thanks for any help...

Old 04-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
(female)

prtebvr HB User
Re: Weird curving/bend of long nails

My right index finger nail bends. I'm looking at it now, and as it grows out, the left side of the nail starts to bend down a little bit. I'm a freak about my hands and nails and, if I think about it and look at it, it bugs me. But, it's always done this. I'm probably the only one who would notice this. I don't think there is much one can do, as it is probably genetics.
I don't know if that's what you mean, or if you mean the whole nail curves downward once they grow really long. Or are you talking about curving like the fake tips they sell with the enormous curve in them (I think they may be called 'dragon lady nails,' or something).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

The longer the nail grows, the less support it has from the nail bed. Have you seen those Chineese people that grow theri nails up to many feet long? They curve in circles and odd angles - not real pretty! The best thing to do is to wear you rnails at an active length - where the free edge is only 1/2 the length of the pink of the nail bed and they shouldn't curve so much. Also, keep them hydrated with a good quality nail and cuticle oil such as Solar Oil or Botanical Oil. Solar oil is available in fine nail salons and through Ulta comsetic outlets nationwide. Botanical oil is available in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply. Apply to the nails and massage into the skin and nails at least twice daily; more often if you have your hands in water a lot or work with a lot of paper and/or textiles.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
(female)

butterfly84 HB User

pretbvr.. that is exactly what im talking about! it only does it on like 3 of my nails and always has. its only like half of the nail that starts to bend weird. its a lot more noticible when i grow my nails out really long. i hope it is only genetics... i never thought much of it, and i started to worry that maybe i had some kind of health problem and my nails were trying to tell me

thanks for the tips marti, i will have to see if i can find that stuff.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
(female)

prtebvr HB User

I've been using Solar Oil and Solar Balm (made by Creative Nail Design) for a little over a month now and I really like it. I'm having my own issues with a couple nails and Marti turned me on to this stuff. I pretty much use the whole line of Creative Nail Design's Solar products: Solar Oil/Balm, Solar Butter, Solar Silk and the exfoliating scrub. I'm a freak about my hands/nails and will use anything to make the nails and hands look good. So far, I like all the CND things I've used.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
(female)

countrysummer81 HB User

Mine grow weird too! The start to curve upwards and then the edges (sides) curl under, making cutting them difficult.

Closed Thread