It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #1

MePlusTwo HB User
Toddler Lost Toenail - How to treat?

Yesterday, My two year old dropped a very heavy toy on her foot. She had a sock on, but it completely took her nail off on her big toe.

It bled a lot so she sat with her feet over the tub and I ran it under water and applied pressure until it stopped. I put an antibiotic ointment on it. She didn't want a bandade but insisted on a sock. Today I checked it and it seems to be OK, no swelling, no bleeding, just very red in the bed. I cleaned it with witch hazel and she is wearing a sock.

Should I be doing anything else besides watching it and cleaning it every day? I will make a trip to the doctor if necessary, but I don't want to if not necessary because it will just traumatize her even more....she was hysterical when it happened and panics whenever I want to look at it.

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Toddler Lost Toenail - How to treat?

You have already doen just what your doctor would have told you to do. I agree with your child - a sock is much better as bandaids can hold excess moisture that would otherwise evaporate as it should.

Keep it clean and dry. Let her wear a sock if she feels like it - it will help protect it from further trauma. The exposed nail bed will dry out and harden in a few weeks adn the new nail will emerge from the root. It may look bumpy at first, but let this damaged portion grow out and the nail should look normal again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 05:23 AM   #3

MePlusTwo HB User
Re: Toddler Lost Toenail - How to treat?

Thanks Marti...for your answer and also for telling me what to look for when the nail starts to grow out again.

Closed Thread