It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

silver515 HB User
Vicks for Nail Fungus

HI...I have had nail fungus on and off for years. I originally used oral Lamisil which did get rid of it, but because of the side effects, I do not want to take it again. Well, it's years later and the fungus has been back for about a year now. I started out using Dr. G's which was very good but expensive. especially since you have to use it for a long time. THen I tried vinegar but that didn't work for me. I have now been using Vicks Vapor Rub which is amazing. I have been using it for a few months now, and my nails are coming in clear . It can also be used when polish is on...I just got a pedicure and could see the new healthy nail...and I have been using it over my polish. It's very easy...take a q-tip and put some vicks on it and put it all around the nail...not on the nail but around it. Do this at least in the morning and evening...I try to apply it at least 2-4 times a day.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Vicks for Nail Fungus

It is also best to try and 'push' some into the area of separation which is where the fungal spores 'live'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
(female)

Miss Shoes HB User

I have heard of Vicks for a lot of things but never nail fungus. I have a nephew tho who is allergic to it. Having said that I have a nail fungus and my daughter told me try bleach and I did. I keep at sink for disinfecting there. So I would put under my nail and use a brush on nail. Also cleaned out all the ****. It is much better. It was really sore but now is not. I am going to try the Vicks though. Thanks. I have an older relative (87) and she used Vicks for a toothache and said it worked. How about that. I was raised on Vicks as were my 8 siblings.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:32 AM   #4
(female)

Alicia_B HB User

[QUOTE=silver515].... THen I tried vinegar but that didn't work for me. I have now been using Vicks Vapor Rub which is amazing.

Interesting you say that; vinegar doesn't seem to be working for me either. I'm also using 'Thursday Plantation - Tea tree anti-fungal nail solution', but that makes my cuticles peel and is also relatively expensive at over £7 for a small bottle.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
(female)

shai`anne HB User

I have found out with using vinegar you have to use it for 6 weeks before even seeing a slight improvement. I'm going to try the Vick's . Thanks.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
(female)

Alicia_B HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shai`anne
I have found out with using vinegar you have to use it for 6 weeks before even seeing a slight improvement. I'm going to try the Vick's . Thanks.
I must have been using vinegar for at least six weeks and, if anything, my nail is worse.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Some things work for some people and others do not. Try Vicks for at least a month to see if it works better for you.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

Gonna try vicks - didn't see ANY difference soaking in vinegar & cleaning gunk out 2-3 times weekly.

Vicks is STRONG, so it could probably kill anything
thanks,
Sue

Old 05-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
(male)

labby505 HB User

do you have to use vicks vapor rub or would any other mentholatum ointment work?

Old 06-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
(female)

silver515 HB User

I would check the ingredients....probably doesn't matter. I have been using the name brand and it's great...

Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #11
(female)

shai`anne HB User

I have only been using the Vicks Vapo rub for about 1 week and I can already see an improvement. This is amazing.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
Inactive

Terrierlover HB User

I would like to know if anyone has been using Vicks for longer than 6 months and can actually see a real difference. If anyone has see a real, long term difference I'd like to know. I've heard that this is just a myth and doesn't work at all, and I don't want to waste my time if that is true.
Thank you.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #13
(female)

Alicia_B HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shai`anne
I have only been using the Vicks Vapo rub for about 1 week and I can already see an improvement. This is amazing.
Good for you if it's working already, but I have my doubts that it can have an effect that quickly.

Please keep us updated.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #14
(female)

shai`anne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia_B
Good for you if it's working already, but I have my doubts that it can have an effect that quickly.

Please keep us updated.
I have already been using vinegar for a while and I was only using it 8 days and the bumps on my nails were getting smoother. Now I have no bumps in my nails at all. The fungus is still under the nail but the top is smoothed out. I don't know if its from the chemicals in the vicks softening my nail of what.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

I have been using apple cider vinegar (5% acidity) with good results on one nail. But the drawback is that you have to apply it at least every day and you can't forget even once. Also I read it takes up to 7 months. I just finished four months. I was able to get the vinegar under the nail each time and often two times a day. Last week the ugly fungus nail came off, with a little bending and then cutting of soft tissue at the base of the nail. Getting the nail off did not hurt, except when I was tearing some of the soft tissue. That was the reason I then decided to do some cutting...and that didn't hurt either. Underneath there is a healthy nail, so I'm going to keep applying the vinegar. I was surprised to see it there; I mean the healthy nail. For it was pink like the skin and I didn't see it until now. I hope you don't mind the details...just that I find it fascinating that this has done so well...kind of like a science experiment.

I've had these ugly nails for way too long. I got one more to go. That other one hasn't done as well, because I was not able to get the vinegar underneath the nail. When it grows out more, I'll make sure that I can get the vinegar under.

I do also have Vicks Vapor Rub too. But I decided to start with the vinegar first. I'm glad to hear that Vicks works so well, for if this vinegar treatment doesn't do exactly what I hoped, then I'll follow that method. Thanks for sharing the information!

Closed Thread