It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #1

Fairy314 HB User
Weirdest thing!!!

Over the weekend I was on my feet a lot doing yardwork and mostly shoveling mulch. The next day my two big toes were really hurting. I'm guessing it was from all the pressure I was putting on my feet. To add to all the pain, my brothers 80Ib. dog stepped on the one toe. I soaked them in some cold water with epsom salt and have also been icing them. The throbbing has subsided, but it still hurts when I have to walk. Now they are starting to turn a reddish purple underneath and from the swelling both toenails have lifted a little. I don't know if I should go to a podiatrist or keep treating it the way I have been. Any advise????

Old 05-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Weirdest thing!!!

What you did was cause a hematoma under the nail plate that has filled with blood. The nail plate will separate from the nail bed where the blood has filled the spaces between the nail plate and the nail bed. They will hurt for a while until the blood starts to 'dry'. As they grow forward, the lifted portion should be cut as short as possible so you don't tear the nail and cause further injury. Keep them clean and dry and next time, wear proper fitting shoes and lift with your legs and not your toes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
(female)

prtebvr HB User

This sounds like what happened to me. I did a 3-day, 60-mile walk back in September and got a blood blister UNDER three of my toe nails (the second toe on each foot and the big toe of my left foot). Like Marti said, after the blood dried, all three nails fell off (completely painless, by the way). The two smaller nails have grown back and they look normal. The big toe nail is still growing in. That's taking some time. I saw a foot Dr. back in Oct/November and he said the nail will never look the same. Thank God he was wrong. Especially for me, since I live in So Cal and it's sandal weather! I had a pedicure a couple weeks ago and had the nail painted for the first time since it fell off. It looks a little different from my other big nail, but I'm probably the only one who can notice.
Once the nail falls off, the surface of the toe will look gross. But it'll get better.
Good luck.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
(female)

amy315 HB User

I have noticed something similair on my big toe. Last week, my big toe was really tender. It didnt feel like an ingrown and I do not recall stubbing it or dropping anything on it. The pain went away and I forgot about it. As my nail polish started to grow out, I noticed a discoloration near the cuticle. Intrigued, I removed the polish to reveal a purple spot near the lunula. Is ths likely a hematoma, or should I be worried about fungus or other ailments?

Old 07-16-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Purple to black is generally characteristic of a hematoma. You can get this if your shoes are too small, or your nails rub the end or the top of the shoe.

Closed Thread