It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
(male)

GN85 HB User
Nail getting shorter

Hey guys, I was just wondering if I am causing some permanent damage to my nails.

I am working in a fast food restaurant, mainly as a dishwasher, and my hands are very often soaking in very soapy water, which as I read in another post on these forums can cause the nails to weaken. Of course my nails also get soft, and while executing other tasks my nails often get cracked, and therefore I have to cut them.

Now... I am noticing that I am continuously having to cut my nails and the nail plates seem to be getting shorter and shorter, in other words the white part of my nails (that you normally cut) are moving backwards. I am wondering:

1) Will my nails will keep getting shorter? Right now the tip of my nail (the white part) is 1/8 inches behind the tip of my finger.

2) If my nails get keep getting shorter, will it be permanent or will they grow back to the way they were before?

Old 06-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Nail getting shorter

The nail plate is comprised of three main layers of flattened cells. These cells are held together by long, interconnecting bands of amino acids. When the nail plate is wet for longer than 3 minutes, these interconnecting bands can stretch beyond their capacity to 'snap' back into place after the excess moisture evaporates. When this happens, the nail plate cells will begin to split and separate or 'peel' away from each other.

You can help heal your nails by applying a good quality nail and cuticle oil at least twice daily and WEAR GLOVES whenever you have to have your hands in water. Your skin will also end up feeling the effects of the hot, soapy water and your skin will become dry and irritated as well. Protect your skin and nails by wearing a good pair of rubber gloves when you have your hands in water for long periods. You only have one set of nails - don't change ruining them by not wearing gloves to protect yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
(male)

GN85 HB User

Thanks for the response. I am wondering though, is the damage I am causing to my nails permanent? I mean if I have tiny nails for a few months and then they go back to the normal size then it's ok, it won't bother me too much, but I just don't want tiny nails for the rest of my life because of a stupid summer job.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85
Thanks for the response. I am wondering though, is the damage I am causing to my nails permanent? I mean if I have tiny nails for a few months and then they go back to the normal size then it's ok, it won't bother me too much, but I just don't want tiny nails for the rest of my life because of a stupid summer job.
Wear the gloves, keep them conditioned and moisturized with a good quality nail and cuticle oil, and they should be okay.

Closed Thread