It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
(male)

tikiroom32 HB User
Habit Tic Nail Deformity?

I went to the dermatoligist over a month ago to have her look at my deformed nails that only grow on my thumbs. My thumbnails are indented with horizontal ridgesand discolored in the middle of the nail, and the doctor informed me she saw signs of habit tic deformity. She said the picking of my cuticles on my thumbs has caused this deformity, and if I stopped picking they would grow out normal.

Okay, I had been looking for a good reason to stop picking and biting my nails, and this seemed like the chance, so I stopped cold turkey. Fast foward to six weeks later, and I haven't picked or bit at all (although I'm dying to!), but my thumbnails are not getting any better. They are still growing with the ridges and discoloration.

Does anyone know how long this will take for me to some actual normal growth on my nail. There is limited info on the web regarding this condition, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Habit Tic Nail Deformity?

It totally depends on how much permanent damage you have caused to the nail bed. The nail plate will follow the curvature of the underlying nail bed, and if you have permanently trenched the nail bed, they may never grow "normal" again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
(female)

ddb4 HB User
Re: Habit Tic Nail Deformity?

Hi there. There is hope, so don't despair! I have had ugly thumbnails for over 5 years, and never knew it had anything to do with my nail and cuticle picking habit. I finally showed my dermatologist in March of this year, who questioned me about habits. I wondered why, but answered truthfully. Long story short, she explained how that damages the nails, cautioned me to stop picking and to find something else -- anything else -- to do instead. It really was a fairly unconscious habit, but once I started paying attention I realized just how often I did this. Anyway, the second part of the "cure" has been rubbing Lidex into the cuticle area of my thumbnails twice a day. It's a prescription and is a corticosteroid, so follow directions carefully. A little goes a long way, and I haven't even begun to get near the end of the tube. She told me she didn't know if my nails would ever look "normal" but they would at least look a great deal better than they did now. At first, my nails seemed to look even worse (!) -- I had huge (enormous!) ridges grow out first. In my right thumb, it was so huge that it actually split the cuticle as it emerged. I was alarmed, to say the least. Once that emerged though, much more normal nail has been growing out! It has been about 5 months now and those huge ridges that first came out are nearing the end of my nail and I look forward to the day I can cut my nails and be rid of them. My days of hiding my thumbs are nearly over! I am quite happy with the way they are growing out. So I would give you the advice of asking your doctor for a prescription for Lidex -- apparently it helps things to calm down and heal. Good luck, and don't give up!

Closed Thread