It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

dollymama HB User
Nails Growing Down....

Hi. When my nails get to a certain length, they start to grow down. So if you look at the nails you can actually see them curved downward, once they grow past the finger (I know that might be hard to envision). Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have had it for years and not even polish or strengthener help ! Thanks

Old 07-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Nails Growing Down....

You may have what we call 'hooked' nails. They curve sharply downward as soon as they grow past the free edge. If you look at the nails from the side, are they sharply arched where they rest over the nail bed? In other words, are they highest right in the center of hte nail bed? If so, there isn't anything you can do because this condition is generally genetic. If they are not shaped as I have written, let me know and we may figure out something else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

dollymama HB User

Thank you. That is a pretty good description. They don't grow sharply down, like if I let them grow, they wouldn't grow into the tip of my finger, but all of them curve down either half of the nail or the full nail. No one else in my family has this problem....

Old 07-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

It doesn't have to be in your 'immediate' family - it could be a generation or two ago. The nail will follow the shape of the nail bed, which follows the shape of the underlying fingettip bone.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #5

Sullebon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollymama
Hi. When my nails get to a certain length, they start to grow down. So if you look at the nails you can actually see them curved downward, once they grow past the finger (I know that might be hard to envision). Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have had it for years and not even polish or strengthener help ! Thanks
I have the same problem but it's only recently started to happen.
My nails have always grown pretty straight but just recently my little fingernail and middle nail are growing 'downwards' as soon as it reaches the end of my finger....

I'd really appreciate any ideas of what could be causing it. I was thinking maybe I could be deficiant in some nutrient or other?

Old 07-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

If it isn't genetic, ti could very well be the beginning of 'claw' nails. Do a search on that term and see what you come up with.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #7

Sullebon HB User

Thanks for that Marti... I hope it isn't!! I'll do some research...

Old 08-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
(female)

daydreamer33 HB User

I have the same exact problem! This only started happening a few years ago to me and I've never been able to find out the reason for it. It started off with just my right pointer finger, and now both my pointer fingers and middle fingernails grow downwards. If anyone figures it out, I would love to hear what the answer is!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
(female)

madamkitty HB User

My nails have grown like this all my life. As a teenager all I wanted was to grow pretty nail, no such luck. My nail beds are shaped in a fan shape oppositing most people having oval nail beds. This means my nails also grow outward on both side of the end of the nail. In my case it is genetic, my great grandmother had nails like mine. It gets kinda frustrating though, the cuticle grows down the sides of the nail and also makes like spurs or hang nails on either side. I have to grab these hard spurs with tweezers and pull them out all the way to the top of my nail. (ouch) some of my nail beds are higher in the center and some are wavey so my nails are never even looking. I tried a manicure one time and that woman almost lost her mind trying to make my nails look good. I've just given up on having long nails.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #10

Sullebon HB User

They don't have a white coating but are fragile and thinner than they used to be. Do you think it's worth seeing my GP? I don't want him to think I'm wasting his time.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #11
(female)

madamkitty HB User

Oh yeah. Mine are as thin as razor blades and just as sharp. They break at the least little hit, I've had the whole nail break down into the quick. They chip, peel and can really look ragged. All I do anymore is get someone, mainly my husband, to clip them back to just in front of the quick and file the edges round.

Closed Thread