It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

TamWasHere HB User
What is the matter with my toenails.

I got the results for my nail clippings today. It was negative, no fungus.

Here is a description of my tonails. My big toes are white with ridges going across them, and thick. Some of my toes are thick and almost spongy.

The poditirst nurse left a message on my cell saying to put some tea tree oil on them and it would thin them out and make them look better.

I have no idea what is wrong with them, but I want them to look pink and normal. What should I do?

I go back to the poditirist on Monday. Any suggestions on thinks I should ask her to check for would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: What is the matter with my toenails.

Sounds funny to me that she cannot diagnosis the problem. When a physician takes a scraping of the debris that accumulates from a suspected fungus infection and grows a culture in a petri dish, it takes several weeks. One cannot determine true fungal infection just by looking or by taking a few clippings from the nail. Fungal spores cannot be seen purely by magnification.

Horizontal ridging is not normally characteristic for fungal infection. Tea Tree oil will not 'thin' the nail plate; it will only temporarily reduce the amount of moisture within the nail plate as well as act as a 'natural' antiseptic.

Is the nail plate separated from the nail bed? Have you tried using vinegar on the effected nails?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
(female)

TamWasHere HB User

Here is how they tested my nails. They took a clipping off of each of my big toes Last Thursday. They were sent out to a lab (Fri), and they got the results Wed. So by my best guess 5 days time to do the fungal test.

My nails have no seperation. They have white horizintal lines in them almost all white. The lines keep growing in. I have used tea tree oil, vinegar and reClear. (not all at the same time) I have no seperation.

I make sure my shoes are 1/2 size big with nice square roomy front where my nails do not bump. When I clip my middle toe it looks like it has a filling, almost semi/solid and and soft. Hard nail and then thick soft darker color filling under the hard part of the nail. (It is all attached together, one nail) My big toe next to it is getting the same way. This big nail on this foot is different, it is almost solid yelloish, greyish white with NO white ridge lines. My other toe that has the white ridge lines and is mostly white is starting to get much thinner and appears more normal.

I used reclear for 2 months, then switched to vinegar for a month. I stopped using vinegar prior to my poditirist appointment.

Would the vinegar cause the nail to test negative?

There are a limited number of poditrist in our area, if I do not get an answer would a dermatoligist be able to help me?

Old 08-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Sometimes, the medium (chemical) in which they send the clippings to the lab can cause a negative diagnosis.

White, to me, signifies a yeast infection, but it could also signify some sort of internail disorder. Have you had a complete blood workup done lately? If it is something systemic, it would show up in your blood work.

White, crumbly, spongy nails are NOT normal.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
(female)

TamWasHere HB User

I had regular bloodwork done with my physical last month and everything was better than perfect. Are there any particular test I should ask for. I am up for anything at this point.

I have had other problems yeast related for years. My gyn recommended kefir and acidophlis which really seem to help control it.

I ask my poditrist about yeast, and asked if the vinegar I had used in the weeks prior could have effected the test outcome. She agreed this could be possible and that my nails are not normal. She also said the test should detect a yeast problem. (from photos I have seen online it looks like yeast to me)

She is having me wait two weeks and then take additional scrapings and they are sending the test to a different lab.

My tonails are bad but my fingernails are great. If it was an internal problem would it effect both toe and fingernails.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Candida is the yeast fungus that is responsible for vaginal yeast infections as well as finger/toe nail infections. If it is Candida, your physician can prescribe Naftin ointment. It will take a while, but it will work! Candida is just as hard to 'kill' as any other kind of fungal spore, so don't be in a rush for a quick fix.

While you are waiting, keep your feet/nails clean and dry - wear sandels whenever you can, but do not go barefoot anywhere, even in the house. After showering, use your blowdryer to dry your toes and nails - just don't let it get too hot

Old 08-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
(female)

TamWasHere HB User

When I get the nail test redo how and where should they take the clippings from the nail?

They just clipped the tips off of each big toe. Is there a better way I could make sure they do the clipping/scraping to help ensure a more accurate test?

Old 08-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is my understanding that they scrape any apparent debris from underneath the free edge of the nail with a curette and send this off to the lab. The only prpblem is that the medium they send it off in can make the results show up negative. I think they send it off in Thymol, which is one of the ingredients in Vicks Vapor Rub that helps to kill fungal spores in the first place, so I don't doubt that the results come back as negative.

If the nails are white, it is usually indicative of a yeast infection. If the doctor were to prescribe Naftin ointment, it wouldn't hurt you even if you didn't have yeast. The tests are not always accurate, but in either case, there should be nail plate separation from the nail bed.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
(male)

Muziq HB User

Marti,

First, I apologize for asking these same questions again but need answers. 8 of my toe nails are thick and dark brown/black in color. So thick they can't be cut with a regular toe nail clipper. Two of my fingernails are going in the same direction. It's really embarrassing.

I've visited several doctors and they each say it is nail fungus and suggested Lamisil but I declined b/c of possible side effects.

I've read many of the posts here but am not sure whether to use Vicks, Vinegar, or Tea Tree Oil or all at the same time. Will you share your insights?
What's the best (or easiest) way to determine if nail fungus is caused by a fungal or bacteria infection?

Thanks,

Muziq

Old 08-17-2006, 05:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brown/black discoloration is not indicative of a fungal infection. The discoloration is classic for Pseudomonas Bacterial infection, which would not be aided by Lamasil since it is strictly for fungus. Go to my website and click on the link for Nail Disorders and scroll down to the photo of Pseudomonas. If your nails look anything like this, print out the picture along with the description and take it to your doctor. He can prescribe something to kill the bacteria that will actually work if he just knew exactly what the problem was. Most of them don't know the difference. Pseudomonas is basically a staff infection, so you can take oral antibiotics as well as topical antibiotic, but it will need to be prescription medication.

[url]http://www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url] (link approved by Moderator 1.)

Old 08-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
(male)

Muziq HB User

Marti,

I went to your website and my nails do look similar to the one in your picture for the Pseudomonas Bacterial infection. The only difference is mine are darker brown/black and are much thicker. The nail is also raised from the plate.

I will schedule another doctorís appointment. What medications should they recommend for this condition? (I just want to have an idea and if they donít know I want to be prepared to make a suggestion.) Which is more effective the oral or topical antibiotic? Approx how long will it take using these antibiotics prior to seeing improvement?

Thanks in advance for your responses!!!

Muziq

Old 08-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You need to see your physician for medication. He/she may prescribe oral antibiotics and/or topical antibiotics. Pseudomonas can take a very long time to 'kill' as it holds a lot of moisture in the nail plate and hides in the spaces between the nail plate cells in all three layers of the nail plate. It is said that Thymol works to kill Pseudomonas, but it would be up to your doctor to make that prescription call. It can take at least a year if you stick religeously to the prescription and keep the nail clean and dry. The stain will remain and will grow out with the nail plate.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #13
(female)

Lauraleah HB User
Wink Re: What is the matter with my toenails.

Hey everyone

I'm so glad I stumbled on this message board. I have had toenail fungus for probably 5 years. Just one small corner of my big toe slowly got worse. I figured this is probably some difficiency and started experimenting with a healthier diet. I did have low iron for I while. I started with alot of vitamin C and a digestive cleanse, my nail got whiter. Then I started taking Cod liver oil and besides just feeling alot better my nails became even whiter and pinker nail beds I'm sure the vitamin A and D made this change but no real change in the fungus. Then I decided I would make my own Kefir. This is when the real results came in. I use Raw milk to make it which I learned makes a huge difference in the beneficial bacteria. It has been about 4 months and the fungus is almost gone! At the rate it has gone I believe it will take maybe 2 more months for it to be completely gone. My skin is better...smaller pores. If I had to guess, this is all about a healthy gut, with that comes better absorbtion of all your vitamins. Cheers to Kefir!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #14
(male)

thebluedog HB User

Laura - I am so happy to hear about your results. Looks like you made some awesome improvements to your health AND nails! Kefir is king.

Closed Thread