It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

annmhd HB User
3 split toenails

Hi,
I have 3 toenails that are split vertically all the way down to the nail bed. They are the big toe and the one next to it on my right foot and the toe next to my pinky toe on my left. I have tried growing them out, keeping them short. I showed the podiatrist and he sluffed it off as probably hereditary and to try shoes a size too big even though I don't know wear shoes that are too small to be causing this problem. I have purchased really good sneakers and still the problem. Went to get a pedicure and they said they could see that the nails were pitting in the middle and causing the nails to split, but not why. I see your recommendations for using the oils on the nailbed. Could you please tell me what you think this is and what causes it and whether or not you think the oil will help? Also, it seems that at the end of the day, even though my toes do not hurt, when I remove my shoes if I touch the toes they are tender. I am not sure if this is from the splitting or if this is a cause of the splitting. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by annmhd; 09-27-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: 3 split toenails

You mentioned that the manicurist said she could see "pitting" in the nails? If you can see tiny pin-dot depressions in the nail plate, that is classic for nail psoriasis. If the splitting is caused by nail psoriasis, there really isn't much you can do about it.

If you wear shoes that put pressure on the nail plate surface, or shoes with pointy toes, those could also be contributing factors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

annmhd HB User
Re: 3 split toenails

I'm sorry, pitting is not the correct word I should have used. There are no depressions at all. Not sure of the word she used, but what she meant was that the nails seemed to be coming together higher in the middle (like a tent) which seemed to be causing the split. She said she could see ridges on some of my other toenails that weren't split so I'm thinking this is how the 3 that are split started out. Makes me think maybe it is the same problem that you recommend the oil for.

Shoes are definitely not the problem as I don't wear pointy toed, tight or narrow shoes and no psoriasis as I'm very familiar with it since my husband has it plus the podiatrist didn't see anything he could put his finger on.

Thank you for your help!

Closed Thread