It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

blondyblonde HB User
Exclamation black line growing downward on my big toenail

I have had a black line that starts at the top of my toenail and grows downward. It widens at the top as it grows down, and looks like it has white ridges on each side. I have gotten it to go completely away (I thought) by cutting out and treating with some kind of solution (not sure which one), but it is back. It will go all the way down to my nail bed if I don't do something. It is hard to tell if it is actually pulling away from my skin, or if the line is inside the toenail or underneath in my skin. It does resemble a splinter, but like I said, has gone away and come back same spot and grows downward, not upward from the nail bed. Any clue anyone? Thanks!

Old 10-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: black line growing downward on my big toenail

A splinter hemorrage is simply a void in the nail plate cell production from the matrix or root. The void will fill up with blood from the nail bed and look much like a tiny splinter underneath the nail. If this particular nail constantly creates the same 'missing' cells from within the matrix, the 'splinter' will continue to appear. Once the nail developes in this manner, the splinter can continue to return with regularity, or never again. If the 'splinter' looks like it grows forward with the nail plate and eventually grows off the free edge, it really isn't anything to worry about. If the splinter grows in a straight line with no breaks in the line from the cuticle to the free edge, it could very well signify a malignant growth in the matrix. If it is a continuous line, you should see your physician to rule out malignancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread