It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
(male)

akari115 HB User
Ingrown toenail (hypergranulation tissue)

My big left toe has had a ingrown toenail for quite some time now, but it was nothing serious. There has been no bleeding, bad smell, pus, or discolorment. What happened recently was that I had stubbed my toe and it started to bleed by the nail plate (I am not sure on technical terms) Couple days later I found a extra amount of skin that was red in the area between the nail plate and the sulcus. It isnt a big amount of skin but it's red and hurts when I touch it. I did some research and found that it was a hypergranulation tissue from a overreaction to the foot stub I guess.

Now my question is, is there anyway to make this extra tissue go away without surgery? I am not sure if it is infected or not but the extra skin tissue if really bothering me when I walk. I can provide pictures if that helps but this forum doesn't allow it. And is it ture that it can never heal? Should I try putting my toe in salt water or placing a cotton ball under there the nail touches the skin? I really do not want to go to a doctor cause my school schedule simply doesn't have time for it, but if there is no other choice then I guess that is what I must do.

Any help would be great.

Last edited by akari115; 10-12-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Ingrown toenail (hypergranulation tissue)

You answered your own question - I would say to soak it in jacuzzi temperature water with either table salt or sea salt. This will help to 'shrink' the exposed tissue. After soaking, dry your feet really well. Wrap a small amount of cotton onto a toothpick, then roll it into and under the space between the nail plate and the proximal nail fold. Twist the toothpick the opposite direction from which you wrapped the cotton, and the cotton will stay where you have put it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
(male)

akari115 HB User

This should reduce swelling and eventually heal right?

Anyways I just wasn't sure on what was right and what was wrong. Thank you for confirming what I wanted to know Marti.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Yes, it should help to reduce the swelling. Be sure to wear shoes that do not put any type of pressure on the nail.

Closed Thread